Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Ref Family Tree Maker

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Kerry

Kerry Report 21 Mar 2005 15:12

Sorry to sound thick but have heard alot of you mention Family Tree Maker. What is this and is it worth getting? Is it just a family tree? Like the one on here? Kerry x

Rosalind in Madeira

Rosalind in Madeira Report 21 Mar 2005 15:31

Kerry, it's a genealogy software program. It is much better than GR for printing out your tree, creating reports and adding pictures etc. google family tree maker and have a look at the site to see what is there. Cheapest I have found is TWR computing for £30. Latest version is 2005, I am using V10. Ros

Anna

Anna Report 21 Mar 2005 15:32

Its a software product for building and customising your family tree. Its about the only family tree softwear I can understand and use lol.There are a few different ones about Ive got version 10 but theres also a newer one. www(.)familytreemaker(.)com Anna :-)

dahani

dahani Report 21 Mar 2005 15:35

Family Tree Maker is £19.95 at PC World (£3.99 postage) off the internet, but I believe it may be the same price in the shop too. Regards Jill

Heather

Heather Report 21 Mar 2005 15:40

On top of being able to print trees, there are so many other bits and pieces to help, like a sources box so that at the end of your tree you can check where you got the info from in the first place, you can print all sorts of trees, descending, ascending, one branch, put a time line on it (it was great seeing that Romeo and Juliet was playing for the first time when my GGFx11 was born). On top of that by clicking next a few times you also have your own webpage with your family tree and photos on it so you can give the addy to anyone to look at. Plus you can put in a rewritable cd evertime you update or change info to back all the tree up so that if your system crashes it is all there still on disc.

Rosalind in Madeira

Rosalind in Madeira Report 21 Mar 2005 16:17

It would always be best to have your tree on your own program, backed up and then it is safe. I have a list of all the names printed off just in case anything goes pear shaped. Ros