Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Marriage cert info

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Claire

Claire Report 20 Mar 2005 12:19

I have gathered from a couple of threads that a marriage cert will state if the brides (and grooms)? father is deceased at the time of the wedding. Have I gathered right? t is just that from census info I am assuming my gtgtgrandmother's father dies before 1881 but he is not stated as being deseased on the 1885 marriage cert. It would help pin him down enormously if I know for certain he was alive in 1885. :o) TIA Claire xx

Carrie

Carrie Report 20 Mar 2005 12:26

Claire No, I have some certificates not declaring the Father is deceased, when I know that they are, not that often mind you. Carrie

Heather

Heather Report 20 Mar 2005 12:28

Sorry, though in theory it should say deceased or not, in practice I have some where I have the death cert of the father but he still not shown as deceased on a marriage cert. Where have you looked for his death so far?

Claire

Claire Report 20 Mar 2005 12:28

Oh. OK Thank you, I must have misunderstood. Never mind. Would have been a useful extra bit of info......back to the detective work then. :o) Claire xx

Claire

Claire Report 20 Mar 2005 12:31

I haven't actually looked for his death. I have a couple of likely families on a census (very kindly looked up by someone here) and in one family the wife is widowed. It would have narrowed the right family down, that's all. :o) Claire xx

Claire

Claire Report 20 Mar 2005 12:35

Ahh well. They like to keep us on our toes then! ;o) Claire xx