Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Thought I had a brilliant idea, but....

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Margaret

Margaret Report 19 Mar 2005 20:29

I have all my certificates in large envelopes filed under the families surname (both of his parents and both of my parents). Every time I want to check anything I have to pull out the correct envelope and go searching. So...I thought I would buy some acid-free pocket protectors for 3-ring binders, keep them all together but still separated into family groups, and I wouldn't have to be handling them all the time. Did you know that the protectors are 1.5 cm smaller than the certificates?!! They will do fine for anything I print off the computer or any reports that I generate, but what are my options for the certificates themselves? My best thought is to buy legal size protectors and cut them down to size, because I don't want the extra bits at the top. Or, since I need the legal ones for my own original certificates (Scotland & Canada) and some Irish ones I have, just buy a bunch of them, and put up with the floppy (unused) bits at the top. How does everyone else store their certificates and notes? Thanks. Margaret

Heather

Heather Report 19 Mar 2005 20:33

Hi, I bit the bullet and bought a lovely certificate binder from S and N Genealogy. Its about £14.99 and takes all the old long certs. You get space for 8 certs with the binder but you can buy more pockets at I think £5 for 10.

Carrie

Carrie Report 19 Mar 2005 20:34

I buy the Plastic folders that you described from Tesco's, they fit fine for me?, and keep them all filed in Year order, I did keep them separate at one time but I have a rough Idea of the year I need and pick that Binder. Of the Older longer sized ones we used to get, I photocopy them smaller to fit and keep the original neatly folded in with it. I don't know if Scottish and Canadian are the same size as English or not? Carrie

MarionfromScotland

MarionfromScotland Report 19 Mar 2005 20:42

Three tesco's best plastic folders lol. red for my lot Purple for husbands side, and a clear one I put all the things I have printed off. ie pages of births marriages etc from scotlandspeople. I still have bit's of this and that all over the place, but I am trying! Marion

Carrie

Carrie Report 19 Mar 2005 20:49

Marion I really must be going Senile, I never even thought of doing Colour coding, Good idea!, but a bit late for me now as I just grab the first packet I see and thats that, I have White, Blue, Green, Yellow and Red edging's, I even keep my Census Image's the same way. I have 'Meet the Family' Binders too, with just about anything I can get into a plastic pocket folder. Carrie

Val wish I'd never started

Val wish I'd never started Report 19 Mar 2005 20:59

I buy a packet of A4 acid free file pockets from Smiths fantastic value were £1.49 for 50 but reduced to half price and they do fit the certs great

Margaret

Margaret Report 19 Mar 2005 21:01

Thank you ladies. The protectors available here are 8-1/2 x 11 inches(21.5x28cm) - letter size. The Scottish and English certificates I have received are 8-1/4 x 11-3/4 inched(21x30cm). Don't think they come in any other sizes over here except letter and legal. My original birth and marriage certificates are both legal size, as are any certificates I get that are copies of Canadian records. Oh well. More checking around to see what other options are available. I am also colour coded - blue for my dad and red for my mum; green for his dad and yellow for his mum. Makes it a lot easier when searching for specific families. Then I have a black folder for 'stuff I am working on right now'. Doesn't matter which family it is - just what info I am currently researching. I also have a 'working copy' multi-generational ancestor chart with both families combined on which I highlight if I have the certificates - using different colours for each type of certificate I have - e.g. original, certified copy, photo copy, copy of entry from parish register etc. That way, just by looking at one chart, I can tell what I have, and what I am missing. (And lots of pretty colours too!!) Margaret