Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

help with 1901 census please

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

*****BMDMAD*****

*****BMDMAD***** Report 19 Mar 2005 17:53

Can anyone see if they can find this family on the 1901 census, I've tried till I'm seeing spots!! Details from 1891 - lving in Walton, Surrey Emma Creasey, wife, aged 22, birthplace Chertsey, Harvey Creasey (shown as Harry on census), head, aged 25, birthplace Woking Harvey Creasey, son, aged 3, birthplace Chertsey Emma and Harvey had further children by 1901 - Eleanor Lydia Jane (birth registered as Ellen) dob 1893 Chertsey Edith Emily, (cannot find birth reg) dob 1898 Frederick Thomas(June1901) so he is prob. not on 1901 census I know they still lived around the Walton area at time of death so assume they should be there in 1901 I can find Harvey snr, brothers on 1901 census, living in Thames Ditton, Ash and Walton on Thames Surrey Carol

The Bag

The Bag Report 19 Mar 2005 18:09

somewhat mistranscribed! Edith Eversy 3 Walton On Thames Daughter Walton on Thames Surrey Emma Eversy 34 Byfleet Wife Walton on Thames Surrey Harry Eversy 36 Woking, Surrey, England Head Walton on Thames Surrey Harvey Eversy 13 Chertsey, Surrey, England Son Walton on Thames Surrey Joseph Eversy 70 Shere, Surrey, England Wid Walton on Thames Surrey Lydia Eversy 8 Walton On Thames Daughter Walton on Thames Surrey Source information: RG13/587 Registration district: Chertsey Sub-registration district: Walton ED, institution, or vessel: 2 Folio: 44 Page: 25 (click to see others on page) Household schedule number: 152 Now will go back and actually see what the names read like to Me! definately reads CREASEY! jess

*****BMDMAD*****

*****BMDMAD***** Report 19 Mar 2005 18:11

thanks for that Jess, how on earth did you find it? Tips would be great as I am fairly new to this and thought I had tried all sorts of variations Carol

The Bag

The Bag Report 19 Mar 2005 18:15

I just try different criteria, no set way, just don't change more than one thing at a time and always search +/- 2 years of dates. in this case i just entered 'Harvey' becaus it was uncommon name 'Surrey at where they might be at and chertsey as a birthplace. Cant be many Harveys in Chertsey born in surrey and it worked!

The Bag

The Bag Report 19 Mar 2005 18:17

That is reassuring_Rose has found the same ones. What criteria did you use Rose? jess

*****BMDMAD*****

*****BMDMAD***** Report 19 Mar 2005 18:18

I did not realise I did not have to put a surname in the search details!! I have had a look at the original image and it looks like Creasey to me. Is there a way of reporting such an error?

The Bag

The Bag Report 19 Mar 2005 18:23

You can put in as much or as little as you like. I tend to bung everything in and then reduce or change criteria as i go along. In that way you can make profound statements like ' did you know there are 472 people in the 1901 census with the name Eberneezer' or you can have yourself a list of everyone in 1881 under the ages of 2 ... endless fun....(!?!) jess

Gordon

Gordon Report 19 Mar 2005 18:34

Hi Carol The 1901 census site has a section to enable you to report any mistranscriptions, which will then be altered. This section will also show you which amendments have already been carried out. There are thousands! If you go into 'contact us' and then 'census data amendments', everything should be self explanatory. However, if names were incorrectly spelt when completing the census in 1901, we're stuck with it. Gordon

John

John Report 20 Mar 2005 08:09

Hi Carol, I'm new to this and trying to pick up tips so this may be a stupid question. Last night I was trying to replicate Jess's search for your people, as a way of improving my search techniques, but was going mad with frustration as I couldn't find any Harvey that looked possible nor any Eversy entries at all. After an hour of hair pulling I found them under Creasy! Does this mean that the PRO have already corrected the census transcription? If so is Creasy the correct spelling?