Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Help with new ancestry viewer

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Gillian in Aylesbury

Gillian in Aylesbury Report 19 Mar 2005 13:12

I downloaded the new viewer on ancetsry and now all I get when viewing the census images is a lot of coloured blobs. It must be something to do with my computer settings but I don't know how to reslove it. Could someone help as I am becoming very frustrated with it and cannot now view the images. regards Gillian

Jan

Jan Report 19 Mar 2005 13:26

I downloaded that new viewer too. Perhaps yours didn't download properly, will it let you have another go at the download. I have to say I am not having trouble with the viewer itself but my problem now is I cannot save the image to where I want it or in the format I want it. You have the option to save it to 'your Ancestry' or your hard drive. Only problem is I can't find them on my hard drive cos they don't tell you what they save them as. Of course, I know I'm more than a little divvy with pooters so I'm probably looking in the wrong place. Jan

Gillian in Aylesbury

Gillian in Aylesbury Report 19 Mar 2005 13:34

Thanks for the reply. I can't find an option to download again nor can I find the original to remove it. I have also tried restoring my computer to before I downloaded but it dosn't solve the problem. I hope you manage to find your downloaded images. I have just downloaded my unreadable image and it saved it as a JPEG file in my pictures. It also asked for a filed name to be saved. Still couldn't see the image or enhamce it in Adoble photoshop. Hope this helps. Regards Gill

Rosemary

Rosemary Report 19 Mar 2005 18:49

Gill, I downloaded the new viewer and frequently have blurred wiggly lines. I fiddled around and found if I clicked on print a box appeared which said something like view whole page. Once I clicked on this everything became clear. Also at the top right handside of the page, if I remember rightly, is a box which allows you to contact Ancestry if you have difficulty in reading a page. Rosemary(Essex)

Jan

Jan Report 19 Mar 2005 19:19

Hi Gillian, I think I have found them, they appear to have been saved as .gif files in a new folder that has appeared in my Photsuite called Images from the net. I have no idea how to open them unfortunately - if they are the right ones that is. Hey ho. So in answer to your original post - I hate the new viewer!!!!! Jan :-(((

KarenInScotland

KarenInScotland Report 19 Mar 2005 19:58

Whilst I get wiggly, blurred image at first it clears to a good image. I'm using Windows XP and can choose to which folder I save an image and what format to use. I use JPEG as its smaller. Double clicking on the file opens the image in 'windows image & fax viewer'. Faling which they come up under 'recent documents' so can find them there if I forget to change the folder for saving. Also try playing around with the choices under the 'options' button