Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Help with change of name please

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sue

Sue Report 19 Mar 2005 09:05

Hoping someone can help me with this. My mother's maiden name is Marling and I've been researching that side of my tree. However I've found out that prior to 1881 the family were known by the name of Moreland. I've checked, double checked and triple checked all the info I have and it's definitely the right family. The earliest I've got back to is Charles Moreland born in 1815, his marriage registered in 1838 as Moreland, the births of his children are registered as Moreland and on census records until 1871 he is Moreland. Then it seems from about 1875 he and his children are all known by the name of Marling - all marriages, deaths etc are registered as Marling. Has anyone got any suggestions how I can find out if they officially changed their name? Sorry this is a bit long winded - I hope it makes sense!