Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Can I pleeeeeeease borrow someone's brain??

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Karen

Karen Report 19 Mar 2005 05:34

On the 1871 census, I am trying to find Selina Gardiner b.1860, Islington. Father Thomas Gardiner. I have been trying to find her all day with no luck. She is on the 1881 census. I would be very grateful for any help, Sam.

Unknown

Unknown Report 19 Mar 2005 06:53

Sam,have you tried a different spelling of-Gardiner,it may even go as far to be put down as-Garden. Black/White??no such thing when dealing with census,feel sure most will agree, What about>Celina Gardiner in Essex,1871 age 6. Not looked but worth a try,have you tried looking for father first,to see who is with him. kay

Karen

Karen Report 19 Mar 2005 07:08

Hi Kay, I have tried every spelling I can think of but still no joy. I have also tried the 1861 census but she is not there either! She must be hiding somewhere but I have run out of ideas. Sam. * I have Selina's marriage certificate, fathers name is Thomas Gardiner occupation- printer. I have looked at all the Thomas's on 1871 but no Selina/Salina/Celina is living with any of them.

Smiley

Smiley Report 19 Mar 2005 08:20

What is the mothers name on the cert? I see Selina is a servant & not with family in 1881, do you have her parents in 1881 too? If so, where? Were there other children that should also be on the 1871? Sam

Karen

Karen Report 19 Mar 2005 09:01

Barbara and Sam, Thankyou for your replies. I am coming to the conclusion that this may remain a mystery. I do not know the name of Selina's mother and I can find no Thomas Gardiner's who are printers in any of the census returns. I know that Selina married in 1887 and they moved to Canada, had three children and they then re-appear in the 1901 census living in Gloucestershire. The only other thing I can do is order the birth certificate. There is one for a Selina Gardiner b.1860, Islington. I was hoping I could do this the easy way (looking at the records on Ancestry). The reason being, in a month we come back to the UK for good so I can't order the certificate to come here as it takes too long. So, it looks like I will have to wait a couple of months to solve this. Thanyou for all your help. Sam.

Smiley

Smiley Report 19 Mar 2005 09:27

Hi Sam .............and Hi Barbara :) Did she marry George Povey? So they went to Canada before 1891, no wonder I couldn't find her! I thought you had her birth cert, sorry my mistake, that's why I asked mothers name. Maybe both parents had died before 1871, and she therefore wouldn't have been with any family. Like Barbara said, she may not have been a Gardiner then, purely because she was living with a family and their surname was used for her on the census.. On her marriage certificate, although her father may have been deceased, it would not necessarily say so. Hope you get to the bottom of it Regards Sam

Karen

Karen Report 19 Mar 2005 09:51

Thanks for all your help Sam. One last question, Do you think it worth my while going onto the Records board and asking for a 1871 lookup for Venus.......?

Thelma

Thelma Report 19 Mar 2005 09:57

I am a bit brain dead this morning,so sorry if you already have this Selina Gardiner birth 1860 Islington sep 1b 259

Karen

Karen Report 19 Mar 2005 10:05

Hello Jim, Yes, I have it. Bless you for looking and replying. After searching for this young lady all day I am also feeling brain dead, infact I think my brain has shrivelled into a peanut....... Regards Sam.

Smiley

Smiley Report 19 Mar 2005 10:47

GAWD!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Whilst trying to decide who Selina married, thinking it would lead me to her in 1891, I searched out Charles Hopgood, one of the options for a groom. Two brides, Selina & Martha After a bit of a search I found him, his wife on 1891 was NOT Selina. So I decide from that she must have married George Povey. A little detective work I think..... process of elimination.... Now, scrolling down the threads.... I just notice your surname Sam.. Which was obviously there all along! For crying out loud!.... I must pay attention Even then they had the cheek to go to Canada so I couldn't find them anyway! From one Sam to another ROFCWL

Karen

Karen Report 19 Mar 2005 11:57

Oh Barbara and Sam, I can't thankyou enough for all the time and effort you are giving this. I have just had a quick look at Thomas Gardiner in 1881, it is definetly worth considering. If there is one thing I have learnt with this hobby is that you must never discount anything. I found him again on the 1871 census and this time the daughter is called Salome!!!!! Either it has been transcribed wrong or her parents had a wicked sense of humour! I have spent nearly 6 hours hunched over the computer today, when I go to make a cup of tea I am walking like a Thunderbird puppet! Regards Sam. Barbara, if I lived closer I would whizz around there and do your hoovering for you.

Smiley

Smiley Report 20 Mar 2005 00:43

Has my ironing arrived yet Sam.. I sent it FedEX..LOL!

Karen

Karen Report 20 Mar 2005 02:48

Sam and Itsy Bitsy, What a day that was yesterday! I spent so long on the computer trying to find this family, that I could feel my brain turning to soup. I was frightened to move my head incase it dribbled out my ears!!! Sam, I have received your ironing, expect it back anytime soon. I await the next lot with bated breath....lol. Itsy, have you found your great grandpa yet? Or is he still hiding with my Selina Gardiner and co........? Enjoy your Sunday. I am hoping that today will be a better day... Sam.