Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Buried in wool??

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Brenda

Brenda Report 18 Mar 2005 13:28

Brenda

Brenda Report 18 Mar 2005 13:29

I came across this annotation just this week on the burial records of two of my ancestors. They were William and Joan Doney, they lived and died in Quethiock, Cornwall in 1760 and 1762 respectively (deaths). Both have 'Buried in wool' after their names... does anyone know what this means?? Thanks, Brenda

Helen

Helen Report 18 Mar 2005 13:31

Hi there Probably not much help but I know shepherds were buried WITH wool to show that they were too busy looking after the sheep to be able to attend church on a Sunday. Or perhaps some sort of terrible sheep related death!? Good luck with your search! Helen

Dwaffy

Dwaffy Report 18 Mar 2005 13:42

In order to support the wool trade Charles II decreed that 'No corps should be buried in anything other than what is made of sheep's wool only; or put into any coffin lined or faced with any material but sheep's wool, on pain of forfeiture of £5.' The fact that the burial complied with the law was recorded in the parish registers. £5 was an enormous sum in those days, but sometimes there is an entry that a person was buried not in wool and a comment that the fee was paid.. probably because the family wanted to show that they could afford not to bury their loved one in wool. dave

Brenda

Brenda Report 18 Mar 2005 14:11

Thanks all, what an interesting topic. I read the other thread too. Brenda