Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Quarter Session Query - What does this mean?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Julie

Julie Report 17 Mar 2005 22:11

Hi I have found an entry (online) for one of my relatives in the Shropshire Quarter Session Oct 1851 and am unsure what this means as I have not come across Quarter Sessions before? Particulary puzzled by the document inqstn? Any help or guidance much appreciated. Name: James Worrall Trade etc: Deceased, agriculturial labourer Place: Bolas Magna Document: inqstn Qtr: Oct 1851 Ref No: QR429 Item no 373 Thanks Julie

Phoenix

Phoenix Report 17 Mar 2005 22:28

Do you know how your relative died? This sounds as if it were an inquest.

Geoff

Geoff Report 17 Mar 2005 22:36

Low-grade offences were tried by local magistrates in Petty Sessions. More serious crimes were tried by visiting judges who came round every 3 months, hence Quarter Sessions. In fact, rather similar to Magistrates Court and Crown Court.

Unknown

Unknown Report 17 Mar 2005 23:02

Quarter sessions proceedings are kept at the county records office. You can use the reference you've found to look it up or get someone else to look it up on your behalf. I found one of my gt gt gt grandfathers in a quarter sessions document in a dispute between two parishes over where he should be settled. The finding of the court was in a HUGE book with lovely (but hard to decipher) writing. The evidence my ancestor gave was in a smaller book, written in note form. nell

Peterkinz

Peterkinz Report 18 Mar 2005 01:39

Looks like an inquest to me too

Julie

Julie Report 18 Mar 2005 17:30

Thanks everyone for the info, I am looking forward to visiting my local records office as soon as I can.

An Olde Crone

An Olde Crone Report 18 Mar 2005 18:56

My trusty old dictionary gives, as the second meaning of Inquisition - 'An inquest'. Hope this helps Marjorie

Unknown

Unknown Report 18 Mar 2005 19:06

The original Latinised name for an inquest was Inquisition Post Mortem. Then it split when Pathologists evolved into the Post Mortem Physical Examination, and the Coroner's Inquest.

Dwaffy

Dwaffy Report 18 Mar 2005 22:15

Inquisition Post Mortem was a hearing before a jury under the ancient feudal laws that established exactly what lands a deceased feudal tenant held and to whom they were to be passed. They were abolished with the feudal system when Charles II came to the throne. No connection with present day inquests. dave

Julie

Julie Report 28 Mar 2005 12:52

Thanks to everyone for the help/comments/suggestions. Thought I would update you all and let you know that I have visited Shropshire Records Office and have viewed the original Quarter Sessions Records which was indeed an Inquest to a Death which stated that on 30th August 1851 James Worrall died from injuries sustained after falling from a Corn Stack. Its is great to have a copy of such a facinating document as part of my families history. Thanks Julie

Phoenix

Phoenix Report 28 Mar 2005 13:32

That is fascinating, Julie! It's nice to hear the successful outcome of a query. If you have the opportunity, it may be worthwhile looking at the local newspapers to see if they carry reports of the inquest. Where my ancestors have died in unusual circumstances, the inquests have not survived, but I've obtained lots of local colour from the contemporary newspapers.