Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Essex Researchers?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

maryjane-sue

maryjane-sue Report 17 Mar 2005 18:32

See below.....

maryjane-sue

maryjane-sue Report 17 Mar 2005 18:33

I popped into a local 2nd hand bookshop today and picked up an old book “Victorian & Edwardian Essex”. It’s all old photos, mainly of places but has quite a few people and names in it. Anyone interested in copies of the pictures? ALLEN Herbert. Photo of barley cutting in Miltond Field, Great Lodge Farm, Great Bardfield – 1904 BAUSOR Thomas. Corp of 4th Essex Chelmsford Volunteers. Chelmsford. BEARD William Henry. Miller and baker at Hornchurch Mill in 1910. BLUMENFIELD Estelle & Josephine (daughters of R D Blumenfield) Dunmow/Saffron Waldon BLUMENFIELD R. D. Hill Farm, Great Easton. (He was editor of Daily Express) BOXALL Mrs Ellen – ran tearooms in Lambourne End, nr Romford. BROWN T. W. and son William. Postmaster at Elmstead Market. BROYD John. Photo of barley cutting in Miltond Field, Great Lodge Farm, Great Bardfield – 1904 BUTLER Percy and father. Chelmsford firemen. CARTER Arthur. Photo of barley cutting in Miltond Field, Great Lodge Farm, Great Bardfield – 1904 CARTER H and Sons. Baker, corn merchant, dairyman, prov. merchants and confectioners in Great Baddow (Photo of one of his delivery carts) CARTER Jim. Photo of barley cutting in Miltond Field, Great Lodge Farm, Great Bardfield – 1904 CARTER Walter. Photo of barley cutting in Miltond Field, Great Lodge Farm, Great Bardfield – 1904 COLQUHOUN JOHNSTON G. Thaxted post office. COTTEE Arthur. Corn dealer and village baker at Stock in 1880. DRAIN Lizzie, of Thaxted (was nanny to the above). GOODY Tom from Dunmow but photo is High Easter 1900. GREEN Harry. Photo of barley cutting in Miltond Field, Great Lodge Farm, Great Bardfield – 1904 HASLER Richard (aka Dick the Pieman) Chelmsford. HEARD Charles. Photo of barley cutting in Miltond Field, Great Lodge Farm, Great Bardfield – 1904 HILLS S. Labourer at Wells and Perry’s brewery in Chemlsford. HOLLAND Camille. Not a photo of her but of her murderer Dougal, at Moat Farm, Clavering. ISABEL Joseph. Labourer at Wells and Perry’s brewery in Chemlsford. McHARDY Capt. J. B. B. First chief constable of county in 1839. Photo taken 1879 MARTIN Harold. Miller at Howe Street water mill, Great Waltham. MATTHEWS James & George of Harold Wood/Ongar. Traction engine firm. MATTHEWS James & George, at Harold Wood Mills c1908 – a steam driven mill. MEAD Isaac c1859 farmer of Waples Mill Farm, Beauchamp Roding from 1882 MEAD Evan (son of the above) NORFOLK Ernest. Baker of Elmstead Market. Not a photo of him but of a parade he organized. PARSONSON Stephen Arthur & son Arthur. Last of Colchester’s basker makers. (North Hill) PARTRIDGE Charles. Baker’s roundsman in Great Baddow. PERKISS William. Photo of barley cutting in Miltond Field, Great Lodge Farm, Great Bardfield – 1904 PETTITT Lewis William in photo of old 2nd Battalion Volunteers, Essex Regiment. He served 1894-1908. PUNT Bill. The White Hart, Billericay. ROVER PC - much hated local policeman in Stebbing. RUFFLE Silas. Photo of barley cutting in Miltond Field, Great Lodge Farm, Great Bardfield – 1904 SAINES Fred. Photo of barley cutting in Miltond Field, Great Lodge Farm, Great Bardfield – 1904 SHONK T. Labourer at Wells and Perry’s brewery in Chemlsford. SMITH E. Cycle shop in Coggershall. SPRINGETT George. Photo of barley cutting in Miltond Field, Great Lodge Farm, Great Bardfield – 1904 SWEETING Charles c1826 Chignall St James. Ag Lab to Christy’s. WHITE Belle. Olympic diving champ at Braintree Baths. WHITING Martin. Elmstead Market in 1910. WITH George. Schoolmaster at Great Leighs village school. School group photo. WRIGHT Hannah of Maldon c1845. Photo of her making nets c1905. Group photograph of the staff at Easton Lodge. Not dated. Group photograph of men of Essex County Police Force, Chelmsford about 1879. Wheelwrights shops in Elmstead Market and Great Bently Group photo of pupils and staff of Great Leighs village school. Class photo of Essex Industrial School & Home for Destitute Boys, Chelmsford in 1900. Sue

Unknown

Unknown Report 17 Mar 2005 19:29

Ooohh.. Thanks Susan, can I have a copy of the pic of Harold Martin please? I have lots of Martin's in my Essex tree, some in that area, so he may turn out to be one of mine! Thanks Lou

Lisa J in California

Lisa J in California Report 17 Mar 2005 21:16

Hi Sue: Unfortunately, none of my families made it into the book, but thank you so much for typing all of that and for offering copies!!!! What a considerate thing to do. All the best with your research, Lisa.

maryjane-sue

maryjane-sue Report 18 Mar 2005 11:22

No problemo Lou - will do it later today Sue

maryjane-sue

maryjane-sue Report 18 Mar 2005 14:49

awwww shucks - thanks Lisa. Sue

maryjane-sue

maryjane-sue Report 20 Mar 2005 11:35

nudge

Jean Durant

Jean Durant Report 20 Mar 2005 12:19

Susan, Unfortunately none of my names but I want to agree with Lisa, what a wonderful gesture. How kind of you to go to so much trouble. Jean x.

tracie62

tracie62 Report 15 Jun 2015 05:12

Hi I read your post with great interest and I am particularly interested in Isaac Mead. Would you have any thing on him please

:-)

tracie62

tracie62 Report 15 Jun 2015 05:13

Hi I read your post with great interest and I am particularly interested in Isaac Mead. Would you have any thing on him please

tracie62

tracie62

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 15 Jun 2015 23:19

Tracie, as this thread is over 10 years old, maryjane-sue may no longer be looking for replies.

Click on her name to send her a message. If she still uses the same email address GR will let her know that you are trying to get in contact.