Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Found old documents..

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Melissa

Melissa Report 17 Mar 2005 08:01

Hi, I've found an old document signed 1945. In the top corner is typed Lithographic Copy. The whole document is a copy of the original. However my question is...If you wanted a copy of a document from a museum, would this be a lithographic copy as opposed to todays photocopy? Or is that only certain persons/depts were issued these? Hope this make sence, Mel.

Netty

Netty Report 17 Mar 2005 10:14

HI MELISSA 'LITHOGRAPHIC' THE MEANING: A LITHOGRAPH IS A TYPE OF PRINT MADE BY TAKING AN IMPRESSION FROM A SHEET OF STONE OR METAL WHICH HAS BEEN TREATED SO THAT INK STICKS TO SOME PARTS OF IT AND NOT TO OTHERS. LITHOS IN GREEK MEANING= STONE HOPE THIS HELPS YOU TTFN :)))) JANETTE

Peter

Peter Report 17 Mar 2005 10:25

Sound to me that you have a copy that was prduced to stay as close to the origanal as pos, Depending on what the Doc is I can only think of 3 resons for it 1 its a soviner of a place or event 2 It was producesd becuse an exact copy was needed, 3 its a limmeted edition of some thing and might be of some value

Janet

Janet Report 17 Mar 2005 13:10

Melissa My first thought was 1945 old!! Oh well, bang goes another myth! Sadly photocopying wasn't around back in 1945. Now I realise I have a number of old docs and here's me thinking I had not inherited anything old. Janet

Melissa

Melissa Report 17 Mar 2005 13:51

Thanks folks. Sorry about the old bit. Although it's dated *ONLY* 1945, the paper appears much older (not in a very good state). The document in question does seem important/valuable ( the reason for not mentioning on a public site) and i'm not sure how it got here. No-one in the family have any idea. I think i may ask the museum, just didn't want to seem daft like handing them something that anyone could buy for 10p etc. Mel.

An Olde Crone

An Olde Crone Report 17 Mar 2005 18:27

Melissa The War was still on in 1945 and paper was of a very poor quality, which is why yours probably seems older than it should. Marjorie

Peter

Peter Report 17 Mar 2005 18:55

If you beleve it to be of some importence then DO take it to your local musum but get a receipt.