Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Lords, Ladies, and Butlers!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Claire

Claire Report 16 Mar 2005 21:01

Evening all! I have found out that my gt.gt.gt.grandfather was a butler to a Lord. I can see him on the 1881 census as part of the household. Now it says he is married, but his wife is not part of the household. His grown sons are lodging elsewhere and thei mother is not with them. How can I find out where she might be? Is there some way of looking at more details of the lord's household and finding out if their spouses lodged in grounds or something? I don't suppose I can presume the butler lived in, just that he was there at the time the census was taken? Unfortunately I don't know much about his wife which is why I was hoping to find them together on the census. TIA :o) Claire xx

☼ Orangeblossom ☼ - Tracy

☼ Orangeblossom ☼ - Tracy Report 16 Mar 2005 21:29

The census images are available on Ancestry. I can get them for you if you have their details.

Claire

Claire Report 16 Mar 2005 21:54

Thanks Tracy, I have looked on Ancestry at the transcription and it lists the people in the household. Would the actual image show more detail? (am considering subscribing when funds allow)! I have Joseph Stevens Born 1838 Wendover, bucks Under Butler 17 Lower Grosvenor St Head of the household is Chas.Geo. Lyttleton (lord) Any extra info would be great! Claire

☼ Orangeblossom ☼ - Tracy Report 16 Mar 2005 22:07

It doesn't give any more than you alread have, sorry. I'll have a look on 1871. What are his kids names?

Claire

Claire Report 16 Mar 2005 22:09

Thanks for looking Tracey. His sons are Edward (b C1860) and Frederick Thomas (B 1864). His wife is Sarah. Claire xx

☼ Orangeblossom ☼ - Tracy Report 16 Mar 2005 22:15

They're hiding! I'll have another look tomorrow when I'm at work. I can't see the woods for the trees now lol

Claire

Claire Report 16 Mar 2005 22:16

Thanks again for your help. :o) Claire xx

☼ Orangeblossom ☼ - Tracy Report 17 Mar 2005 09:31

This is why I couldn't find them.... Joseph Stearns 31 Wendover, Buckinghamshire, England Head Chesham Buckinghamshire (Private Watchman) Sarah Stearns 30 Aston Clinton, Buckinghamshire, England Wife Chesham Buckinghamshire Edward Stearns 11 Halton, Buckinghamshire, England Son Chesham Buckinghamshire Fredk Thos Stearns 6 Wendover, Buckinghamshire, England Son Chesham Buckinghamshire Faurance Stearns 4 Amersham, Buckinghamshire, England Daughter Chesham Buckinghamshire Mine M Stearns 1 Chesham, Buckinghamshire, England Daughter Chesham Buckinghamshire Ellen Stearns 6 weeks Chesham, Buckinghamshire, England Daughter Chesham Buckinghamshire Saml Geo Furgeson 25 Irl, Londonderry, Ireland Lodger Chesham Buckinghamshire No address listed. She's here in 1881... Sarah Stevens abt 1840 St Leonards, Buckinghamshire, England Wife (Head) Chesham Florence A. Stevens abt 1867 Amersham, Buckinghamshire, England Daughter Chesham Minnie M. Stevens abt 1870 Chesham, Buckinghamshire, England Daughter Chesham Ellen R. Stevens abt 1871 Chesham, Buckinghamshire, England Daughter Chesham Albert E. Stevens abt 1873 Chesham, Buckinghamshire, England Son Chesham Ernest W. Stevens abt 1875 Chesham, Buckinghamshire, England Son Chesham Amy M. Stevens abt 1877 Chesham, Buckinghamshire, England Daughter Chesham Address: 39 The Village Civil parish: Chesham County/Island: Buckinghamshire Condition as to marriage: Married Occupation: Laundress Source information: RG11/1452 Registration district: Amersham Sub-registration district: Chesham ED, institution, or vessel: 15 Folio: 61 Page: 2

Claire

Claire Report 17 Mar 2005 11:47

That is just what I was looking for! You are a star! :o) Many thanks, Claire xx