Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Would you have to ?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Haley

Haley Report 16 Mar 2005 19:40

how long is it since you would have to show you decree absolute to the registrar or is that just a silly question

Peter

Peter Report 16 Mar 2005 19:43

I only showed it once just be for I remarried.

Unknown

Unknown Report 16 Mar 2005 19:54

I think you would only need to show it to prove you were divorced. But even if you got married 30 years after your divorce, you would still need to show that you were free to marry. nell

An Olde Crone

An Olde Crone Report 16 Mar 2005 22:24

Completely off subject, however, I have to tell someone! A few years ago I applied for a full passport. I have been divorced twice and even though my first divorce took place in 1968, I still had to produce these divorce papers before I could get a passport. I pointed out that I could not have been divorced TWICE without being married twice, but to no avail, I still had to prove both divorces. As I said, not relevant to the above question, but did the powers that be think I was PRETENDING to have been divorced twice? A sort of reverse bigamy? Relevant to your question: I would think you have always had to produce a decree absolute to the Registrar if you were admitting to being divorced. Marjorie

Ria

Ria Report 17 Mar 2005 16:18

I've just applied for my 1st passport at the grand age of 38. to get it I have to show my birth certificate, my adoption certificate (my stepfather adopted me when I was 10), my decree absolute from 1st marriage, my 2nd marriage certificate and possibly my NI number. I've had 4 surnames lol, people look in horror when I tell them this hahaha. What a pain, I've had to search the universe for them all and had to apply for adoption certificate again. Wonder if they want my bra size, inside leg and shoe size too? Maria :)

An Olde Crone

An Olde Crone Report 17 Mar 2005 18:40

Maria It has certainly made me think about 'simplifying' the details of my life, where Officialdom is concerned! (Sorry to any future descendants, but it would have been MUCH easier if I had said I had been married only once. It was absolute luck that I still had the documents from 1968, and even greater luck that I found them!) Marjorie

KarenInScotland

KarenInScotland Report 17 Mar 2005 20:09

Maria, like you I was adopted by step father at 10 so have lived with various names. Now married and hubby still gets confused, today he blocked an internet bank account by entering my birth name as my mother's maiden name - only been together 18 years - bless him!

Ria

Ria Report 17 Mar 2005 22:30

hahaha I don't envy anyone who tries to find me in the future, I'm going to be the relative eveyone curses hehe :) Maria