Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Could he be my uncle?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Tillot

Tillot Report 16 Mar 2005 13:50

See below

Tillot

Tillot Report 16 Mar 2005 13:58

I've been told that my grandmother lost her first baby. He was born, but died I believe shortly afterwards. I've just been speaking to my Aunt (as Dad can't remember) and she believes he was called John. My grandparents married in 1940 and had their first child (that survived) in 1942. My Aunt believes the baby boy (John) was born in 1940 or 1941. I've just had a look for John's birth on the Staffs BMD site and found a possible in 1941. Obviously I'm going to order the birth cert to find out if it's him or not. What I'm wondering though is this. I've just looked on the family relatives site, as I thought, excellent, that will have a maiden name for the mother. Mt grandmother's maiden name was Copeland and her married name is Barker. The name in the column though states Barker. Could this still be him? and just an error by the GRO maybe? Has this happened to anyone else? I am a bit wary anyway, as for another rellie once, the mother's maiden name was down as her previous married name, and not her maiden name. I hope I'm making sense! I've also tried to look for the death for John Barker (in the hope this is him) but I can't find anything that fits. Is it possible they didn't register the death even? Anyway, I'm a bit confused, and any thoughts or ideas are welcome! Best Regards Helen

Tillot

Tillot Report 16 Mar 2005 15:51

Bump

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 16 Mar 2005 16:50

Not sure about the birth registration Helen, but if it was a live birth a death certificate would have been required before burial was allowed.

Tillot

Tillot Report 16 Mar 2005 17:39

Thanks for the reply. I'll just have to wait to see what the birth certificate says I suppose. If he is my uncle, then I don't know what I'll do then, as I can't find a death for him. I keep having stupid visions that he was buried in the garden and not registered! Hurry up Postman!