Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Is This Possible ??

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Billy

Billy Report 16 Mar 2005 11:35

Hi. Please bear with me as I am very to this tracing game !!! Is it possible to do and electrol roll look-up for Blackpool 1959 without actual going to Blackpool ? and if so how ? Thanks a lot Billy

corcoran74

corcoran74 Report 16 Mar 2005 11:46

Hi Billy contact the local library in the area you are looking for. They will most probably hold the records. Good luck.

Billy

Billy Report 16 Mar 2005 13:33

Thanks for the reply. I have now rung Blackpool library and it turns out the records I am after are held at Lytham St Annes Record Office, so I spoke to them and they are willing to do a search for a £10 fee. Is this the normal procedure ? Maybe I should try to explain what records I am after and as to why and then things might be clearer. I know I have a sister that was adopted at birth and have found a possible match on birth records (about the right time, exactly the right place and normal residence is also possible) My mother didn't normally live in Blackpool but it has been said that she did live there for a time. In 1959 she would not have been old enough to be on the electrol roll but the search I am hoping for it to see if it is a Murphy family in the address I have been given or whether the address is sort of a board and lodgings. Thanks again

Margaret

Margaret Report 16 Mar 2005 13:38

William Yes, it is normal to charge a search fee. The amount varies from place to place. You have to offset this with the cost of you going there to do it yourself. Margaret

Colette

Colette Report 16 Mar 2005 14:11

Billy just a thourht but you could ask if any of the members on here goes to this record office,or anyone have a local directory for the time. Colette xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Billy

Billy Report 16 Mar 2005 14:31

Thanks everyone for the replies. Thats a good idea Colette, I have just got my wife to e-mail the Records Office you never know we may get someone really helpful !!! LOL Billy