Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Occupation

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Gillian

Gillian Report 16 Mar 2005 09:23

Is anyone able to tell me what the occupation 'Agent' on a marriage certificate in 1852 would involve. Many thanks Gill

Gillian

Gillian Report 16 Mar 2005 13:27

Hello Georgina Unfortunately the person died in 1855 so I don't have a census with him on.

Jenny

Jenny Report 16 Mar 2005 13:34

I agree with Julie, an agent would have been employed to represent a company or a person. Jenny (Newbury! but only by marriage!)

Walter

Walter Report 16 Mar 2005 18:35

Agents were usually 'Self Employed' and acted as salesmen for small to medium sized companies selling their Goods on a commission only basis. They often represented up to 30/40 different people or companies in many diverse products within the Area or Region in which they lived and worked. The range of products within their Agency could vary from Pit Ponies, Cloth from the local Weaver, Pit Props, Steam Engines etc. He worked by finding out what people wanted, and were prepared to pay and then finding a source of suppy for these needs and acting as the middle man between the buyer and the seller