Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

protect your GR details....especially on shared co

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Andrew

Andrew Report 15 Mar 2005 21:39

I discovered today that clicking on an email from GR (new message) leaves the address (URL) in the history of the software used for browsing the internet. If you use a shared computer (work, internet cafe, other), I'd advise you to clear the browser history otherwise it's very easy for someone to just click the entry in the history of the pages you visited and gain entry to your GR log in without needing any email address or password.

Chris

Chris Report 15 Mar 2005 21:48

I have noticed this also on shared PC's and make sure that you always log out

Carol

Carol Report 15 Mar 2005 21:58

That's good advice Andrew. I only have my father's side of the family on this site as I read in another thread about identity theft and mother's maiden name. You can't be too careful these days. Carol

Andrew

Andrew Report 15 Mar 2005 22:05

It surprises me that it's not necessary to log in when you click on links in emails from GR. Actually, I started thinking about the security of these sites when I searched for Friends Reunited on BBC news looking for an article about them getting into jobs but ended up reading some disturbing articles. I then promptly removed my entry on Friends Reunited in case there are some weirdos who didnt like me. That surpised me too because updating my details on that site shows my password clear there on the page. Not only readable but traceable by those who know how, especially on an non-secure site (this is a site beginning https). Perhaps it's me, people have said I'm over cautious but this site could be made much more secure and considering the income the owners are probably making then it seems a small effort.