Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Irish Parish Maps and Townlands - a really helpful

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

June

June Report 15 Mar 2005 14:26

If you are researching in Ireland it helps to know a bit about the general area you a looking for such as the County, Parish and Townland if possible. A really useful site is the Irish Times on Scripts(.)ireland(.)com/ancestor You don't need to take out a subscription to browse and copy the maps and townlands. Click on 'browse' then click on 'RC Parish Maps' then you will see a map of Ireland with counties shown, click on a county and a map of all the parishes in that county will come up. Click on a specific parish and you will see a list of all available parish records. At the foot of the records you will see in very small print click here for a listing of placenames within the civil parish. Click this and you will get a list of the civil parishes (usually one or two as they are not always the same as the RC parishes) - then click on the Parish name and you will get a long list of the townlands within that parish together with a numbered location map and information regarding neighbouring parishes. I hope this is of help to someone. Regards June.

June

June Report 15 Mar 2005 23:08

Hi Sarah - thanks for replying - you are lucky, all four of my grandparents lines come from different places in Ireland!! I think I shall have to have a touring/research holiday there! Good luck. Regards June

Christine

Christine Report 16 Mar 2005 03:05

Hi June, Thanks for the info on this site. I have just spent the last hour, discovering that in the Parish my Gt Grandfather was born, there were only 3 households of that name. Anyone with any Irish in them has to have a look. Many Thanks, Christine. P.S. I couldn't access the site on the details you gave even though they were correct. Had to google for The Irish Times - Ancestry.

♥♪ˇ Karen

♥♪ˇ Karen Report 16 Mar 2005 07:43

thanks for that......I need al the Irish help I can get ! PS If you can't get on the site, remove the www from the address

June

June Report 20 Mar 2005 11:15

nudge for the weekenders