Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

scotlandspeople

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Saffron

Saffron Report 15 Mar 2005 14:18

hi im thinking of joining scotlandspeople and would appreciate any tips on how best to use the site. i know its pay per view and dont really want to go in without a clue and waste credits!! miser that i am lol thanks x

Val

Val Report 15 Mar 2005 14:27

On scotlandspeople it is £6 for 30 credits try and get year born and name area try find out where in Scotland as they can be put in to areas could be easier. The site has births as far back as 1585 up to 1904 marriages up to 1929 and deaths 1954. I will give example knew who married couldn't find marriage found death maiden name was different but you sometimes give a copy of certificate for 5 credits other times you need to send for it. It is a better site than the english one wish they would copy what Scotland has done as I have them on both sides

Saffron

Saffron Report 15 Mar 2005 14:35

thanks for that val so far rellies are only in scotland, will give it a try. my brain is slooowly turning to mush!! leanne x

MarionfromScotland

MarionfromScotland Report 15 Mar 2005 14:35

hi, you get 30 credits for £6, you have a week to use it up. One search is a credit which is one page, so you are well to broaden your dates, keep it to one pageand it's one credit. You might find another name on it, ie I wanted a marriage so I just put in the name, it then comes up with all people with that name. You might be lucky and find somebody else, you need later. Once you see the one you want, you can then view it for 5 credits, make sure your not blocking pop-ups. You cant view all of them ,ie older ones.You can do a few searches without using credit's, if you want to narrow it down. If you find you have credit left but time has ran out, next time you go in £6 again, you can use that credit. I hope this makes sense to you, but I know what I mean lol cheers Marion

Val

Val Report 15 Mar 2005 14:43

No problem they charge £7/10 for certificates if they are not on show 1 credit for 1881 cencus and 5 credits for 1891/1901 If they are on show it is 5 credits you can either save/print which save you money. If you put cencusfinder/scotland in to search engine you can get different cencus may be of help or try freecen they have a few years worth a look

Saffron

Saffron Report 15 Mar 2005 15:00

hi marion that did make sense thanks for your advice lol, im not confused!! only kidding!! thanks for all advice everyone leanne x