Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Relationship puzzle - What did Cousin mean in 1871

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Mad Alice

Mad Alice Report 14 Mar 2005 22:15

Ouer the weekend I decided to trace some of the twigs in my tree. See below.

Mad Alice

Mad Alice Report 14 Mar 2005 22:16

I traced George Rosebrook aged 20 born in Stanstead Essex to Croydon in the 1861. I found him staying with a Charles Rosebrook(head) then aged 60, birthplace Holburn. George's father was Ambrose who on the census always says he was born in Stansted although I can find no record of his birth in the parish register. He would be about the right age to be the brother of Charles but then Charles would not be cousin to George but uncle! Surely a cousin as we know it would be unlikely to have such a big age gap - should it be second cousin? Can anyone help me sort out this relationship? I would love to find some more twigs in somewhere other than Stansted and there are quite a few Rosebrooks in London who might well be related to Charles and therefore to me. Alice

KarenInScotland

KarenInScotland Report 14 Mar 2005 22:25

Alice - you've missed the age of George out of the message. On several of my families there is a 20+ year span of children being born, but until the age of George is revealed, difficult to give ideas!

Mad Alice

Mad Alice Report 14 Mar 2005 22:29

Sorry Karen. I have put it in now! my brain is addled! Alice

The Bag

The Bag Report 14 Mar 2005 22:30

My dad was born in 1929 the last of 9. His eldest sibling was born in 1911 (which is span of 18 years) and i would say not unusual jess

Phoenix

Phoenix Report 14 Mar 2005 22:30

Alice Have you looked at the IGI on Family Search? There seem to be lots of Rosebrooks, including Charles and Ambrose.

An Olde Crone

An Olde Crone Report 14 Mar 2005 22:34

Alice I am 40 years older than my youngest cousin! My mother was 19 years older than her youngest brother. She married and had me very young. My Uncle did not marry until his early forties. But yes, yours could have been second cousins, or anything else loosely related - many of us on here (including me!) have a problem working out cousinship once we get past first cousins and I daresay it was exactly the same for our ancestors. I doubt also if an enumerator could have been bothered to write down something like 'third cousin twice removed' and even if they did, bet it was trimmed down before it went 'in the book'. Happy hunting Marjorie

Phoenix

Phoenix Report 14 Mar 2005 22:38

These may be useful: British Isles Father: Ambrose Rosebrook, Mother: Susan Exact Spelling: Off [refine search] Prepare selected records for download International Genealogical Index / British Isles - 3 Select records to download - (50 maximum) 1. CHRISTOPHER ROSEBROOK - International Genealogical Index Gender: Male Christening: 24 JUL 1831 Old Meeting-Independent, Stansted Mountfitchet, Essex, England 2. CHARLES ROSEBROOK - International Genealogical Index Gender: Male Christening: 20 SEP 1835 Old Meeting-Independent, Stansted Mountfitchet, Essex, England 3. AMBROSE ROSEBROOK - International Genealogical Index Gender: Male Christening: 16 JUN 1833 Old Meeting-Independent, Stansted Mountfitchet, Essex, England

Mad Alice

Mad Alice Report 14 Mar 2005 22:41

Yes I guess it just means 'related in some way'! My Ambrose is not on IGI - he is not on Parish reg or in the Old Independent meeting house Stanstead with all the other Rosebrooks!Can't think how to establish a link.

Mad Alice

Mad Alice Report 14 Mar 2005 22:45

Brenda The Ambrose who is married to susan is Georges father. i think he could be th brother of charles - but his birth is not on IGI and I have been back to check the parish register twice - and he still wasn't there! i have found charles parents onthe IGi - married in Holborn but i expect his father was born in stansted. Alice

Phoenix

Phoenix Report 14 Mar 2005 22:53

I think the snag is the nonconformity. Have you found Ambrose's marriage? If there is a history of nonconformity, there are likely to be missing baptisms. Records tend to be lost or carried off by the minister. Have you looked for wills or marriage licences in the area? Are they paying any land tax? If not, are there any references in the poor law records, eg settlement examinations?

Mad Alice

Mad Alice Report 14 Mar 2005 22:59

I have a copy of his marrriage entry from The Church of St. mary the Virgin, Stanstead. it seems they were all married and many of them buriied there. I have not looked at wills or anyhting else you mention. i think they were pretty poor - he was a 'Matt weaver'. Charles in london was 'a gentleman' - needless to say I am directly decended from Ambrose. lol!

Irene

Irene Report 14 Mar 2005 23:35

Don't read something that isn't there, my father loved it when his Uncle Herbert use to come over from Australia, he was only 6 years older than my dad, they always had a good laugh from the looks on people faces. Uncle Herbert was the youngest of my g grandparents, and my nan (dads mum) was the eldest so it could be right. Irene