Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Can anyone advise please?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Linda

Linda Report 14 Mar 2005 20:32

During my family search I have come across a gg uncle who married in 1919 but was widowed in 1921 when his wife died 3 weeks after childbirth. Apparently his wife's family kept the child and my gg uncle wasn't allowed to have any more to do with his son. Very sad story but don't know all the true facts. As this child was born in 1921 he could still be alive and this is where my question lies. I have been given, by a family member, the wedding photographs of my gg uncle and his wife and also a baby photo of his son which he must have treasured until his death. My thoughts are that if I could trace my gg uncle's son or any descendants of his that they would maybe like these photographs but what if he didn't know that who brought him up weren't his real parents? I would appreciate any advice on this.

Gemma

Gemma Report 14 Mar 2005 20:43

I am sure that this person would love to know his roots. My auntie only found her dad over a year ago....but it played on her mind since she was young. When he applied for a birth certificate it would have his parents names....so he would possibly have made searches at some time. The only problem is wether he was registered before his mums death. If registered after the death the in-laws could have lied about details. Have you searched for him on freebdm just thought i would help as so many people have helped me Grace

Margaret

Margaret Report 14 Mar 2005 20:49

Linda Perhaps if you search for his birth in the indexes and send for the birth cert. You will then see if he was registered with his true parents names or not. As Grace has said, he may have had to have a copy of his birth cert at some time in his life and may know his true parentage. If he is registered with the wrong parents then he may not know and would come as a shock to him now at his age. Margaret

Linda

Linda Report 14 Mar 2005 22:55

Thank you very much. As it happens I do know that his birth was registered before his mother's death so he would probably know whoever brought him up weren't his true parents. I would dearly love to pass these items to a direct descendent of my gg uncle, I'm sure they would mean such a lot. Thanks again. Best wishes Linda