Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Go Back!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Unknown

Unknown Report 14 Mar 2005 16:56

Stuck with your Tree? Can't get any further? Try going back. Dig out your old notes and have another look. Go back to some of your old research. You may have missed something.

Unknown

Unknown Report 14 Mar 2005 17:03

This may be more relevant to those who have already got a fair way into their Genealogy, but the info is still useful. Today I was idling through 'My Bookmarks' when I came across a site I didn't recognise. So I clicked on it. It was a Website giving details of someone's Family Tree and Research. So I browsed through the names until I found my 3ggfather who has been a real headache. There he was with his siblings AND his ancestors going back as far as another EIGHT generations on one line and SIX on another. Goodness knows when or why I bookmarked that Website, but thankfully I WENT BACK to some old reseach and got a result.

Unknown

Unknown Report 14 Mar 2005 17:20

You're right Jim. I have recently been organising my info and am amazed at how much I have found out and forgotten! And some of the sites on my favourites - I have no idea what they are! This is a good thing to do if stuck. nell

Louise

Louise Report 14 Mar 2005 17:44

Jim, Good advice and it applies to newbies as well. I was clearly rubbish at this when I first started a few months ago and missed loads of clues. After 3 months I went back to the first family I looked at and found more people and much better information on them. It also gave a me chance to sort out some notes - a constant battle! Louise

Heather

Heather Report 14 Mar 2005 17:59

Absolutely Jim, this happened to me, when I got dead ends. Went back to my original research and was amazed at the stuff I had bookmarked and not used.

Dorothy

Dorothy Report 14 Mar 2005 18:00

I recently found 2 marriages on FreeBMD that I must have looked for a hundred times before, suddenly they have now appeared so it's always worth a re-check.

Margaret

Margaret Report 14 Mar 2005 18:10

I noted down a family with the same surname as one in my hubbys line, same area. I couldn't connect them, so just shoved the bit of paper in a drawer. 10YEARS later I was sorting out some notes anf came across it, and it slotted in. Must have been the release of a further census. Oh dear! I remember waiting with baited breath for the 1891 census to come out on microfiche. That makes feel really old now (LOL) Margaret