Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Death of the Invisible Man!!!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Julie

Julie Report 12 Mar 2005 19:03

Hi there, I have been searching for ages for the death of William Arthur Mattless (Matlass, Matliss) born February 1844 at Watton, Norfolk. He was alive when his wife died in 1895 in Clenchwarton - Norfolk but does not appear on the 1901 census. Where did he go??? I don't really need to know the answer to continue my research but I am a bit like a dog with a bone - I can't find the answer but am determined to give it a damn good try!!! Any help much appreciated. Regards Julie

The Bag

The Bag Report 12 Mar 2005 19:05

is he on the 1881 and 1891 ? any refs for his whereabouts from them? Did the old boy and his wife live in CHAPNELL RD, cos thats where son william is in 1901 - or has he always lived there? jess

Unknown

Unknown Report 12 Mar 2005 19:07

How do you know he isn't on the 1901? He could have been mistranscribed. My Smoothy family were Lenortheys (!) and when I tried to find Matthews, nothing happened because they were down as Maththews. Not forgetting my Broad gt uncle who appeared as Ruard. nell

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 12 Mar 2005 19:20

He could be missed off the index, but still be logged on the census. I searched for someone. She wasn't there so I thought she may have died but when I viewed the 1901 image, she was there large as life, with the family.

Julie

Julie Report 12 Mar 2005 20:09

Hi Jess, From what I have found out so far, William and Esther lived in the Rookery Cottages in Clenchwarton in the 1891 census. Son William and his wife did indeed live in Chapnell Road. Thanks for trying to help, Regards - Julie

Julie

Julie Report 12 Mar 2005 20:14

Nell and Gwyneth, I have tried every possible variation of the surname Mattless that I can think of, but still to no avail! I tried looking with all the rest of the family but it appears that William's younger children were all with their older siblings at the time of the 1901 census. This is what makes me think William was dead - though obviously they could only have been visiting but the census does not mention them as visitors. Thank you very much for trying to help. I think this is one that I will have to keep plugging away at!! I'm determined to try and find the answer!!! Thanks again, Julie

Peterkinz

Peterkinz Report 12 Mar 2005 20:17

Julie - have you searched 1837 on line 1895-1901 looking for the death?

Julie

Julie Report 12 Mar 2005 20:23

Hi Peter, Yes, I've tried that!! I tried 1890 until 1915 just to make sure - but still nothing!! I'm open to ANY suggestions!!! Regards Julie

Unknown

Unknown Report 12 Mar 2005 21:10

Julie It may not be a variation of Mattless, it may be something quite different, like Watless or even more obscure - I've seen the name Moore transcribed as Thorne. nell

The Bag

The Bag Report 12 Mar 2005 22:57

Julie managed to find the images for the village, all 21 images!trawlled thru till i found Rookery cottages (image 17!) and guess what? no Matless's. there was , however one uninhabited house ? maybe he was dead, he def wasn't at Rookery cottages jess