Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

'Family Tree' Help Needed please

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Linda G

Linda G Report 12 Mar 2005 18:42

My family's name was spelt Me(O)pham on the 1851/1861/1881 census and then Mepham on 1891 and 1901. My Great Grandma was spelt different also but then stuck with Mepham the rest of her life. When I enter my family tree how do I get round the fact that the same family had two different spellings? Won't they end up on different trees? Messed up my tree once don't want to do it again. Forget to mention there is a place called MeOpham right near where they lived. Linda

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 12 Mar 2005 18:55

I would stick with MEPHAM if it were me but make a note in my own records like 'seen as MEOPHAM on 1851 census'. It could be that as it was a nearby village name, the enumerator thought he knew better than the family as to how the name should be spelt. We stick to one spelling on our 'tree' although there are 4 frequent spellings seen for our surname interest.

Linda G

Linda G Report 12 Mar 2005 18:57

I was hoping that would be the answer Gwyneth. Thanks for your help Linda

Unknown

Unknown Report 12 Mar 2005 19:03

Linda I told everyone and put in all my notes that my gt gt grandmother was Ann Maling, only to find that the family were actually Mealing! nell