Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

2nd B.R. 13th

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Joan

Joan Report 12 Mar 2005 16:52

I think this is what the 1871 census image says for one of my rellies. He states occupation Private Soldier. Can someone please point me in the right direction to find out some details on the 2nd B.R. 13th. My thoughts are 2nd Brithis or Border regimrnt, but probably miles off the mark. Many thanks , Joan

Joan

Joan Report 12 Mar 2005 17:19

Thanks, am trying the site as i type this. From Eastville, 6 miles from Spilsby and about 20 miles, (i think) from Louth. Joan

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 12 Mar 2005 17:21

most regements used to have there depots in local recruiting area's so if you post the area where the census took place it may help narrow it down.

Keith

Keith Report 12 Mar 2005 17:24

Joan Try www(.)regiments(.)org/regiments/ Remove () Search 13th I think its the Somerset Light Infantry could be 2nd Bn. Keith

Joan

Joan Report 12 Mar 2005 17:31

hi, Would private soldier be the rank (like today) or was it someones 'private army'. Hes not living in Barracks. Address looks like Market St, Dover, civil parish, St Marys. 1871 census Thanks Joan

Keith

Keith Report 12 Mar 2005 17:40

Private was his rank, the 13th were in England 1867-1871 Keith

Joan

Joan Report 12 Mar 2005 17:46

Sorry must be me, but if 13th is the regiment number then what's the 2nd. Also what does B.R. stand for. I have no knowledge of any military regiments at all. Sorry if i sound dumb but this is the first dealing with this and cant seem to match it on ths site given earlier. Joan

Keith

Keith Report 12 Mar 2005 21:16

Sorry for the delayed answer, trouble with my computer only getting online now and again. Try www(.)regiments(.)org/regiments/uk/inf/013SomLI.htm Half way down you will see 2nd Battalion if you click on that it shows were they were. I could be wrong but this is the 13th Regiment. Keith

Joan

Joan Report 13 Mar 2005 12:42

Keith, Many Thanks, Finally got the grasp of that bit. Another question, has he stretched the limits of imagination to describe himself as a Chelsea Pensioner (at 40years) on the 1881 census? Or does this just mean that he was injured inthe line of duty and spent a period of time in the Royal Hospital Chelsea or its equivilent at the time? Thanks,Joan

Keith

Keith Report 14 Mar 2005 09:20

Back online at last. I think there was two types of Chelsea pensioners, in-pensioners who lived at the Royal Hospital and out-pensioners who could live anywhere, thats about all I know, I'm sure that Kew would have good records of the pensioners. Maybe post again with the tittle 'Chelsea Pensioner' there must be other people on Forum who would be able to help you. Keith

Joan

Joan Report 14 Mar 2005 15:40

Thanks to all for advice given. will try to follow up soon. Joan