Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Canadian Mounted Police in Cornwall, help?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Tin Fields

Tin Fields Report 12 Mar 2005 16:09

Hi can anyone tell me why Mounted Police would be in Cornwall in 1936? Or would it have been usual for our police to be mounted, looking for my Grandad with very very little info Help I'm searching for a needle in a needle stack I think!

Unknown

Unknown Report 12 Mar 2005 16:41

Lisa Policemen used horses as transport before cars (and they still do use horses). But they wouldn't be Canadian in Cornwall. What exactly is the information you have and what are you trying to find out? nell

Tin Fields

Tin Fields Report 12 Mar 2005 16:44

Hi Nell, all I have is a name possibly William John Newton or George Newton, a mounted policeman in falmouth in 1936 Not a lot to go on I know

Big Shaz

Big Shaz Report 12 Mar 2005 16:55

Does it actually say 'Canadian' Mounted Police Lisa? Or does it just say Mounted Police? Shaz xx

Tin Fields

Tin Fields Report 12 Mar 2005 16:58

Shaz, my dad was taken to see his dad, was only told that we was a mounted policeman, I am thinking when someone says mounted police you think of canada. I think he could have been English?

Big Shaz

Big Shaz Report 12 Mar 2005 17:06

Lisa.... I know what you mean... yes you are more then likely right and your Grandfather would have been just a British Mounted Policeman. I am messaging you now Lisa as I have something that may be usefull Shaz x

Tin Fields

Tin Fields Report 12 Mar 2005 17:07

Thanks Shaz, I'm desperate for info.