Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Dton, Durham..is that a place or an abbraviation?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

♥♪ˇ Karen

♥♪ˇ Karen Report 12 Mar 2005 14:10

Have found rellies on a census born at dton durham. Sorry my geog is very bad. thanks

tinkers

tinkers Report 12 Mar 2005 14:18

dton i think stands for darlington durham anne

Unknown

Unknown Report 12 Mar 2005 14:18

Karen It is either an abbreviation or an error. Possibly short (though not a recognised abbreviation) for Darlington which is about 15 miles south of Durham town, but maybe someone with more local knowledge can help. I am a southern softie! nell

Phoenix

Phoenix Report 12 Mar 2005 14:18

Darlington seems the obvious answer. I use abbreviations like B'ham for Birmingham. Everyone in Durham would, I think, know what was meant.

♥♪ˇ Karen

♥♪ˇ Karen Report 12 Mar 2005 14:24

ok thanks... explains why I couldn't find dton ! LOL

Susanne

Susanne Report 12 Mar 2005 14:32

There are 2 other possibles as far as I can see, Dipton and Dunston. Sue:-)

Andrea B

Andrea B Report 12 Mar 2005 14:49

Karen I have seen it used for Darlington a few times with my rellies who I know for definite came from there so I think I would assume it was Darlington. Best Wishes Andrea

LindainHerriotCountry

LindainHerriotCountry Report 12 Mar 2005 14:52

It is always used for Darlington which is in the county of Durham, even in the present day.

♥♪ˇ Karen

♥♪ˇ Karen Report 12 Mar 2005 14:55

ok thanks......I'll take it as Darlington then. I wonder why my Yorkshire rellies went to Darlington ??? Was there industry there?? Actually......just checked & my bloke is a railway guard.

Phoenix

Phoenix Report 12 Mar 2005 15:08

If I know nothing else, Kings Cross (London), York, Darlington and Durham City are all on the same railway line.

Anne

Anne Report 12 Mar 2005 15:11

Darlington is only JUST in County Durham. Only the width of the river Tees separate it from Gods own county - Yorkshire. I used to live there. Definately Dton for Darlington. Also Darlington was an important railway town. Anne

Alan

Alan Report 12 Mar 2005 15:32

Could well be Darlington. Try the following website for online checks of BMD. www darlington gov uk Look for online search under registry office Alan

Jack

Jack Report 12 Mar 2005 20:55

If you look at www(dot)teesvalley-indexes(dot)co(dot)uk, you can look up BMD for Darlington. Jack

Dianne

Dianne Report 12 Mar 2005 21:42

Yes it's definitely Darlington. I come from approx 20 miles away. D/ton = Darlington, S/ton = Stockton Mbro = Middlesbrough etc. Other areas do the same i.e.Mcr = Manchester. As said before, Darlington is a major town on the borders of County Durham.