Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

20 maryport street devizes wiltshire

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Jan.jan

Jan.jan Report 11 Mar 2005 23:33

Does anybody know whether 20 Maryport Street in Devizes, used to be a wood mill. I have a Frank Robbins living there as a sawyer mill owner but his father is there as well as a 77 year old retired brewer. Could it have been a brewery or a mill? Any ideas.

MrsBucketBouquet

MrsBucketBouquet Report 12 Mar 2005 00:58

Jan I started with looking at www*streetMap*co*uk (change * for .) You'll then maybe understand the 'Mill' bit. Take a look at that 1st then Google 'Maryport Street brewery' Loads of info in there :o) Gerri x

Jan.jan

Jan.jan Report 13 Mar 2005 10:13

Thanks for the info. The street map site will be extremely useful

Dawn

Dawn Report 13 Mar 2005 14:39

hi, its wasnt a brewery as the brewery is further up the town, but will see what i can find as i live in devizes.

Dawn

Dawn Report 14 Mar 2005 17:30

hi had a look in town today couldnt find no 20, tesco is 21-24 then theres a entrants to carpark! apparently all the numbers got changed, when? next door is a pub,three crowns, which use to brew its own ales. no one knows of a mill though, have to look deeper into history of devizes as there was alot of small businesses. hope this helps a little.

Jan.jan

Jan.jan Report 14 Mar 2005 17:38

Thanks for that info. The Dad was a retired brewer and the son a mill owner, so perhaps it was the Dad who was the head. I'll do some searching on the Three Crowns. I appreciate your help. Thanks