Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Birth registered twice 15 years apart

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

sarahjw03

sarahjw03 Report 11 Mar 2005 18:50

I put a thread on here a while back as to why a birth in 1873 was not registered until 1888. Thanks for the help! HOWEVER..... I have now found an original registration at the right time. I have ordered the certificate, it came today and is identical to the one 15 years later, which I also have, same info word for word, only two different registrars signing them. Why would a birth be registered twice, 15 years apart?? Sarah

sarahjw03

sarahjw03 Report 11 Mar 2005 18:55

No he lived into the 1950s, my dad remembers him, and has his original birth certificate! The 1888 one is a record of a birth in 1873, like its backdated. Its weird! Sarah

Phoenix

Phoenix Report 11 Mar 2005 18:57

Why couldn't you find it the first time round? Is it possible that the parents of the child could not find the original entry either, so registered the birth a second time to enable the child to start employment? My grandparents, working in factories, had to produce birth certificates when they first went to work. Brenda

sarahjw03

sarahjw03 Report 11 Mar 2005 19:02

My dad has the original which is the 1888 one, it records a birth in 1873, which I thought was odd but only recently bothered to investigate. So trawling through 1837, found the original entry and thought I would order it out of curiosity, then went back and ordered a second copy of the 1888 one out of curiosity and they are the same. Can't understand why they are registered twice, if he lost it, why not get a copy for ID purposes??

Phoenix

Phoenix Report 11 Mar 2005 20:39

Is it possible that the parents did not understand that they could obtain a copy of the certificate, if they had lost the original? It is most unusual, but I know how muddled I can get if questions are being fired at me!

sarahjw03

sarahjw03 Report 11 Mar 2005 22:15

Yeah, its probably right. I wish people had asked questions in the past, it would have made it so much easier!! I guess I will never know for sure! Thanks for helping! Sarah