Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

World War One

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

SiouxiePoole

SiouxiePoole Report 11 Mar 2005 16:49

Can anyone help with info as to where to go from here? I have located my Grandparents' marriage certificate and note that my Grandfather's profession was listed as a Gunner in the Royal Field Artillery. I calculated his year of birth from this and have searched one year either side of the date (1891) but cannot find any kind of a birth entry for him. Does anyone have any ideas as to where I can go from here to discover more information? Many thanks Sue

Natalie

Natalie Report 11 Mar 2005 17:25

Sue. If you give me his name (and father's name if on the wedding cert.) I will have a look on 1891 & 1901 Census for you. Would help if you can let me know where he was born or lived. I'll see what I can come up with. Thanks Natalie

Peter

Peter Report 11 Mar 2005 17:47

If he was in the Army befor he marrid then the date of birth could be a lot ferther back than you think, as siolders had to server (I think) about 20 years befor being alowed to wed so that would make him a lot older than you think.

Unknown

Unknown Report 11 Mar 2005 18:28

Sue He may only have been in the army a brief time - my grandfather was called up as a gunner in the Royal field artillery and that's his occupation on my dad's birth cert, but in civvy street he ran a frame maker's. I don't think he actually served abroad, but he was in a training camp in Chilham, Kent, for part of the time. He was in his 40s. nell

Phoenix

Phoenix Report 11 Mar 2005 18:40

If his records survive, and that's a big if, then his soldier's documents would provide all sorts of details. For example, his trade in civvy street, where he was recruited, his age, next of kin, dependents etc. What does survive is on microfilm at Kew

Eve

Eve Report 11 Mar 2005 21:24

The Mormons have the WW1 unburned records on microfiche . if you go into family search and then the library put in this number it always brings you to the correct site. 1990029. There are a lot to go through but they are in alphabetical order. You can then order the one you need from any Mormon search centre it costs about £3- 80 for three months.

Linda G

Linda G Report 11 Mar 2005 21:52

Sorry for butting in on your thread but I have just found that I have a Mormon Family History Centre with 15 minutes of me. I thought my nearest one was in London, Didn't realize there were so many centres Thanks, Linda