Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

settlement certificate

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sinead

Sinead Report 11 Mar 2005 15:03

Help!! Please could someone tell me what a settlement certificate is?Ancestry have one of my rellies down from this and I don't know what they are talking about!!!! Could anyone enlighten me please?! Sinead

Janet 693215

Janet 693215 Report 11 Mar 2005 15:09

I think its to do with moving parishes. If you moved parish and settled in another your original parish would still have to support you in times of need. Once you had been resident for a time , worked for an employer for a year you could apply for settlement in that parish.

Sinead

Sinead Report 11 Mar 2005 15:15

thanks Janet-that clears it up! Sinead

Mystified

Mystified Report 11 Mar 2005 15:25

Settlement certificates, although issued by the Overseers of the Poor, were not used exclusively by paupers. A settlement certificate was, perhaps, the most important document ever owned by a great many families as it proved beyond doubt that the family belonged to a particular place, and at this place, and this place only, they were able to seek relief if they fell upon hard times. That relief may have come in the form of weekly maintenance, payment of rent, seed potatoes, fuel, clothing, medicine and even a funeral with a wake. Hope that helps

Sinead

Sinead Report 11 Mar 2005 15:56

thanks John, it really does clear it up. but starts a new search- so really he could have come from anywhere then.do you know how I could get hold of it or view it as it might let me know where he came from or parents. many thanks sinead

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){ Report 11 Mar 2005 16:01

Please may I ask a question Sined?

Sinead

Sinead Report 11 Mar 2005 16:02

fire away!

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){ Report 11 Mar 2005 16:08

Thankyou! I was wondering if someone had lived in village A then moved to village B for several years then moved back to village A and stayed there, would there be any settlement papers? Jeanette x

Unknown

Unknown Report 11 Mar 2005 16:11

I found a dispute about settlement on www.a2a.org.uk/ by typing in my relative's admittedly unusual name. I then went to the relevant records office and read the legal judgement in a beautiful big book with metal clasps, as well as the evidence he gave in a smaller book. nell

Sinead

Sinead Report 11 Mar 2005 16:14

sorry jeanette, have no idea! Am wedged with mine - found ref to cert and didnot know what it meant!not sure if he came from elsewhere or where to go next! sorry!!! good luck with your search! sinead

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){ Report 11 Mar 2005 16:17

Ok thanks Sinead x