Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Irish BMD???????????

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Alan

Alan Report 11 Mar 2005 12:59

Can anyone recommend a good website to look for Irish BMD certificates? Trying to find marriage details of Michael & Honora Docherty (maiden name not known).

Alan

Alan Report 11 Mar 2005 13:39

A shameless nudge.

Unknown

Unknown Report 11 Mar 2005 14:26

There are no Irish BMD's online as far as I'm aware

Treetective

Treetective Report 11 Mar 2005 14:44

Which area/s is your research going to be in - it may help me and some others to suggest helpful sites.

June

June Report 11 Mar 2005 15:47

Has anyone tried genfindit(.)com - this is an Australian site which seems to have access to a lot of Irish records and they do research for you for a fee depending on how much information you have. I have ordered a certificate from them but their delay is 4 to 6 weeks due to high demand. I don't know how good they are yet but perhaps someone else has experience of them. the LDS has the Irish BMD on microfilm but each year is on a separate film so you would have to order a lot if you don't know the year and that could be costly and time consuming but I believe they have all the records together in London which are available for viewing. The LDS also have a lot of parish records for Mayo/Galway but you need to know the exact location before ordering films. They also have the 1901 and 1911 Irish census on film.

Patricia

Patricia Report 11 Mar 2005 17:54

I keep putting this on every message! I found it quite helpful. Click on the central signposting and you can search for free. http://www.irishgenealogy.ie/non_flash/frame_1024.htm

Janet

Janet Report 12 Mar 2005 10:44

Many people including myself have answered so many queries on Irish History. There are a number of us who have replied incessantly to these questions over the last year and if you key in Ireland or Irish into the little box at the top of the Messages list, where it says enter text and search, you will have all our answers to these questions coming up for you to browse, about 400 in all!! There is a lot of Irish info on the internet if you all use your Search engine options but sadly few actual records. Janet

Alan

Alan Report 12 Mar 2005 14:18

Hi all. Trying to find marriage details of Michael & Honora Docherty (maiden name not known). Not on Ancestry or Freebmd. Tried through the Scottish website, but can't find a decent Northern or Southern Irish website.

Janet

Janet Report 12 Mar 2005 15:06

Have you tried understanding Irish History?? Janet

Twinkle

Twinkle Report 12 Mar 2005 19:00

Ancestry, FreeBMD and Scotlandspeople don't have Irish records and never will have -well, Ancestry has a few random Irish bits but certainly no marriages. Civil registration didn't start in Ireland until 1864. Certificates are nigh-on impossible to obtain, unless you know where your person was living and their parents' details. Your best hope is parish records. Doc, you need to work out which parish your relatives were from, their religious denomination, approximate date of event and then order the films from the LDS. There are NO certificate or bmd index sites, and nobody can do you a look-up. Sometimes people have put bits and pieces of records online but I have never found any relative like this, and I doubt many people do. Don't underestimate the hostility the Irish authorities have towards genealogists. They don't want you to find the information.