Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

the 'missing'!! 1881-1901

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Joan

Joan Report 11 Mar 2005 12:03

Where would you suggest i look have looked on Ancestry (may have missed it) but not able to identify the family of my Grandfather, James Henderson, dob, sep 1897, Edmunds Street, Wandsworth (cert). Do not Know of siblings (except a Flo- short for, no-one knows) His parents, both aged 19, William Alfred Henderson & Mary Ann (nee Wood) of 15, New Malva Street(?)Wandsworth Married, Mar 1886, The Baptist Chapel, East Hill, Wandsworth (cert). His Grandparents, William Henderson and Anne (? believ its Anne as she signed as witness at their wedding, could be other rellie though). I can't find them on any census. Still trying to identify them on 1837 (and waiting certs) any sugestions please as i've been round in circles so many times I'm totally lost. Joan

The Bag

The Bag Report 11 Mar 2005 13:14

a bit of clarification please! were his parents both 19 when he was born or is that what you expect them to be in 1901? jess

Joan

Joan Report 11 Mar 2005 13:21

Jess, The marriage cert says both aged 19, both gave same address. William Alfred shown as labourer, as is his father, William.Mary's ocupation has squiggle so presumably not working. Did seperate the sections but has all been 'lumped' together on the board. Thanks, Joan

The Bag

The Bag Report 11 Mar 2005 13:26

there is a william and mary at 46 raydon st, but no sign of kids. let me look again Mary Henderson 22 Pancras, London, England Wife St Pancras London William Henderson 23 Pancras, London, England Head St Pancras London jess

Helen

Helen Report 11 Mar 2005 14:31

Got them in 1891 for you William A Henderson 25 Wharf Labourer born Hampshire (N/W)inehole Mary A 24 born London (Oxford St?) William G 4 born Wandsworth Florence E 2 Wandsworth Robert Hy 8 months born Battersea Address is 19 Sewell Road, Battersea The Ancestry transcription is quite a bit different but the above is what I believe the actual image reads. Can't see that there's a place called Winehole or Ninehole though, perhaps someone else could have a look and see what they think, ref is Source information: RG12/435 Registration district: Wandsworth Sub registration district: West Battersea ED, institution, or vessel: 32 Folio: 15

Joan

Joan Report 11 Mar 2005 14:37

jess, or anyone!! Have found a possible for my missing Hendersons in Battersea on 1891, with some children, obviously not grandad, not yet born. 1901 have got a Mary ann henderson (right age) in Wandsworth and Clapham union infirmary but no trace of rest of family. Help please, waiting for certs is killing me!! Thanks Helen, Sorry if that crossed while typing, still very slow at it. Joan

Helen

Helen Report 11 Mar 2005 14:45

There's a 11 year old Robert in Wandsworth and Clapham workhouse.

Helen

Helen Report 11 Mar 2005 14:53

And a 12 year old Florence with a 9 year old William as 'pauper/inmate' in a school in Penge. Source information: RG13/652 Registration district: Croydon Sub-registration district: Croydon ED, institution, or vessel: North Surrey District School Folio: 164 Will check out the image for William's age a bit later, off to do school run!

Marilyn

Marilyn Report 11 Mar 2005 15:46

Theres a three year old James in an infirmary in Battersea too. Looks like the father has died and the mother is ill so all the family have been split up. How sad.

Joan

Joan Report 11 Mar 2005 20:44

Thanks for your help it seems that they've been located, if spread about a bit. Now seems will have to wait for confirmation whilst trying to find a rellie that's willing to talk about this.Surely Grandad must have mentioned his early life to someone. For all the tales and rumours within the extended family, i'm supprised that no one seems to know anything about this. Thanks again to all who looked, ive been looking for ages and found none that i could tie in so here's hoping that these prove the right family. Thanks again, Joan