Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Military Pensioner - Wars around 1853-1865? -possi

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 11 Mar 2005 11:34

I have just got the death certificate this morning for my GG grandfather - on marriage cert in 1865 and all later census material he is listed as occupation Labourer - now on his death cert. occupation Labourer and Military Pensioner. He must have been in the army pre 1865- I don't know what age he joined up - but he was born in 1837 so I'm looking at earliest 1853 to latest 1865. Any ideas what wars were going on during this time - apart from the Crimea which is a possible - and what would qualify you for a pension - would you have to have been wounded? Jackie

Richard in Perth

Richard in Perth Report 11 Mar 2005 12:45

Probably the Crimean War 1853-6. I think that there's a few websites on soldiers who served in this, don't have the links but you could try googling. There was also the Indian Mutiny, 1857-8. Richard

Christine in Herts

Christine in Herts Report 11 Mar 2005 12:56

This one has info about the China War & Indian Mutiny, amongst others: http://hometown.aol.*co.uk/KevinAsplin/home.html (remove *) Christine

Unknown

Unknown Report 11 Mar 2005 13:00

hi jacqueline, 1851-53 south africa 8th kaffir war, 1852 -53 pegu ,2nd burma war, 1854 -55 crimean war, 1857-56 central india, sepoy rebellion,1857-62 2nd china war , 1850-66 new zealand,maori wars ,i dont know if this will help you , good luck,tony

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 11 Mar 2005 13:16

Thanks guys - I have found an article on the crimea, and you can obtain records from Kew - if you know what regiment he was in - suppose back then you would have joined your local army - he lived in Berkshire so I suppose I start from there. Here goes!