Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Ancestry Searches gone mad??

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

☼ Orangeblossom ☼ - Tracy

☼ Orangeblossom ☼ - Tracy Report 10 Mar 2005 22:38

see below

☼ Orangeblossom ☼ - Tracy Report 10 Mar 2005 22:39

I type in one thing, and it comes up with a completly different thing.... eg Viewing records 1-4 of 4 matches for: Thomas Big* with London .... « Global Search Results Name Age in 1901 Birthplace Relationship Civil Parish County/Island View Image Florence Bickerton 3 Liverpool, Lancashire, England Daughter West Derby Lancashire Florence G Bickett 37 London, England Servant St Pancras London Harry Biddle 17 Birmingham, Warwickshire, England Son Nether Hallam Yorkshire Henry Biddle 4 Birmingham Son Aston Warwickshire How does that work? lol

Kate

Kate Report 10 Mar 2005 22:46

I don't know what the problem is, but my 1901 search for Thomas Big* residence London has come up with 83 genuine matches, so why not try yours again and if it's still mad, give me some of his details and I'll see if I can spot him. Also you should contact Ancestry to complain if the problem continues. Kate.

Martin

Martin Report 11 Mar 2005 00:01

Have you selected 'Best Matches' rather than 'Exact Matches'? MB

☼ Orangeblossom ☼ - Tracy Report 11 Mar 2005 08:58

Kate, thanks for the offer. I think it's ok now. I'll let you know if I need more help :) Martin, I always have it on Exact Matches :)

Sue

Sue Report 11 Mar 2005 10:01

You've maybe accidentally ticked the soundex box. Sue (in NZ)

☼ Orangeblossom ☼ - Tracy Report 11 Mar 2005 10:03

Sue, even if I had, it's only supposed to soundex on the surname. Florence sounds nothing like Thomas lol... and Harry??

Heather

Heather Report 11 Mar 2005 10:03

No, it does go mad sometimes. I know I put in Rushton a couple of weeks ago and it came up with names beginning with S? I kept trying and no luck so I emailed them. They told me to fiddle with something and that would put it right but I am still getting thousands of matches when I click onexact.