Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Tinker, Tailor, Soldier....Sailor???

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Natalie

Natalie Report 10 Mar 2005 20:40

On 1871 my g.g.g Grandmother (definitely daughter of Richard Hawkins, sailor) has a sister Eliza living with her. Have just got (most likely) Eliza Hawkin's birth cert. Very excited to find father also named as Richard Hawkins! But.......occupation: Sailor. So was he a sailor, a tailor.....or just a little tinker!!!!!

Patricia

Patricia Report 10 Mar 2005 21:01

Did you mean Eliza's cert gave Richard as a Tailor?

Heather

Heather Report 10 Mar 2005 21:04

I had a similar query to this recently over a marriage cert I had received. All along the guy has been a soldier - in the 1891 census he is a corporal in the Guards in London BUT on the marriage cert is says occupation Gardener!! Now I am very tempted to think this is the registrar transcribing Guardsman as Gardener - but well, not sure how I will prove that.

Natalie

Natalie Report 10 Mar 2005 22:04

Hi folks! Eliza's birth certificate had 'Father: Richard Hawkins, Tailor' and her sister Anne's marriage certificate had 'Father: Richard Hawkins, Sailor'. Eliza is living with Anne (and family) on 1871 Census (pretty certain it's the same Eliza). Am determined to sort this one out eventually.......but how?? Thanks for your reply Heather, as it made me think that it could just be a mistranscription. Not sure which one is incorrect though! Best wishes Natalie

Unknown

Unknown Report 10 Mar 2005 22:06

Natalie I feel for you, hon, you really aren't having a good day, are you? Do you have him on any census records that would give a clue as to which of the versions of his occupation might be correct? Lou

Unknown

Unknown Report 10 Mar 2005 23:30

How sure are you that the certs say two different words? I ask because one of my Smoothy family was mistranscribed as Timothy and I have other instances of capital T looking like capital S. nell

Linen

Linen Report 11 Mar 2005 00:34

HI You don't say if Eliza is older or younger than Ann. Just a thought but if she is older, maybe the parents married without permission,from the navy. My Granddad was in the army when they married, I know from his discharge papers, but on the cert he is a milkman & when he re-enlisted for WW1 he didn't mention their firstborn my Aunt Maud. Good Luck Vivienne

Richard in Perth

Richard in Perth Report 11 Mar 2005 01:26

Most likely it was a transcription error - did you get the certs from the GRO? In which case, you have to remember that the details they hold were copied from the original registers which are held by the local Reg offices. Errors did occur in the copying process!

Natalie

Natalie Report 11 Mar 2005 14:14

Hi Everyone Thanks for all your helpful ideas. I'm going to try the local record office and see if it has been mistranscribed. Will also look them up on earlier Census returns now that I have an address. Thanks also for cheering me up! Best wishes Natalie