Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Another silly question!!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Emma

Emma Report 10 Mar 2005 15:44

What happens if someone is cremated and family do not collect ashes? My Great gran died 1961, she was cremated and none of her family went or collected the ashes...are they stored for a while or scattered? Does anyone know?

Heather

Heather Report 10 Mar 2005 15:52

I was too upset when my mum died to even think about what to do, unfortunately my sis made the decisions and mum was cremated. I understand her ashes were scattered in the garden of rembrance at the crematorium. I really regret not being able to think more clearly at the time.

MarionfromScotland

MarionfromScotland Report 10 Mar 2005 16:05

My mum was also cremated, I was asked where I wanted her ashes, I had no idea as it was sudden. At the crematorium there are various garden's and you can choose which one,you wanted ie spring/summer etc or if they had a partner in another garden they could get scattered there. I did notice at the time lot's of urn's not claimed. I think they keep them till they are collected. Just hope they not charging rent lol Marion

Heather

Heather Report 10 Mar 2005 16:17

The thing is, you have to actually ask for the ashes to be kept in an urn. I know that from my mother-in-laws funeral, they give you a long list of options. Naturally all the options have to be paid for as extras to the basic cremation costs, so it depends on whether her relatives did that at the time. There should also be a book of remembrance at the crematorium where you can pay to have a few lines about the person kept.

Unknown

Unknown Report 10 Mar 2005 17:34

Are you sure our cremated ancestors are not sitting all around us diguised as dust?

Emma

Emma Report 10 Mar 2005 19:43

Oh no i will never dust again!! lol