Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Sailors Home, Kent

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Dawnieher3headaches

Dawnieher3headaches Report 10 Mar 2005 12:19

Just got my gt gt grandparents marriage cert and he is not the nightwatchman or ship steward that I was expecting but a Steward Sailors Home. His father and brother were in the admiralty and her father is down as a Naval Pensioner. They got married in Gillingham and have that as their residence at time of marriage. Does anyone know where to find Sailors Home? talking about 1877. Dawn

Peter

Peter Report 10 Mar 2005 12:32

This seems to be a reff to a Home for Retierd Saliors are we still talking Gillingham or some other town.

Dawnieher3headaches

Dawnieher3headaches Report 10 Mar 2005 12:35

Peter, They married in gillingham and the residence at time of marriage was Gillingham. Occupation is Steward Sailors Home so presume (I know should never do that) is gillingham. Suppose could be Chatham that is very Navl isn't it. Dawn

Peter

Peter Report 10 Mar 2005 12:37

Was this info of the Census if so dose it give an address? In the mean time I will have a look to see what I can find.

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 10 Mar 2005 12:37

I tried on Ancestry just putting in Smith as a name (as it's quite a common name), then Kent, and Sailor's home as keywords. It came up with a William Smith who was a superintendent of Sailors Home, at 3a Harmer St, Milton-in-Gravesend, Kent in the 1881 census. Perhaps if your relative was old enough to be on one of the census' you could try doing the same. Kath. x

Dawnieher3headaches

Dawnieher3headaches Report 10 Mar 2005 12:42

Kathleen, Tried his name on census nothing comes up. will keep playing. Peter All info is off of the Marriage Cert, cannot find him on any census < why doesn't that surprise me.! They were married in the Parish Church Gillingham. Dawn

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 10 Mar 2005 12:45

Dawn, Do you want to give us his name and approx. date of birth, to see if any of us can come up with anything? Kath. x

Roy

Roy Report 10 Mar 2005 12:50

A family tree memebr I have is shown as a Greenwich Pensioner as in the Royal Naval Hospital, Greenwich whcih was for Royal Navy and Royal Marines personnel but I don't see why there'd only be one domicle for retired navy personnel.

Dawnieher3headaches

Dawnieher3headaches Report 10 Mar 2005 12:51

Kathleen, He is James Frederick Akhurst don't know anything else about him but his daughter Jane Agnes or Agnes Jane on some things was born 1850 in Sheerness, Kent. She may be with him in 1871 but had first child with hubby (although unmarried at time) in 1874. Dawn

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 10 Mar 2005 13:03

I have found a James Akhurst in 1871, described as Greenwich Pensioner, in Minster,Sheerness, Kent. He has a wife Jane, and daughter Ann Jane, also grandson with him among others. Don't know if being described as Greenwich Pensioner means he was at some sort of 'home'. Have saved the image if you want to see it. Kath. x

Peter

Peter Report 10 Mar 2005 13:07

Found this in the Salvaion army history (Chatham branch) Cossey (The Sailors rest) Miliatry rd and Pembroke house Gillingham Both mentiond as rest homes for Sailors

Dawnieher3headaches

Dawnieher3headaches Report 10 Mar 2005 13:20

Peter, Thank you for that will look into them. Dawn

Ian

Ian Report 10 Mar 2005 14:45

Dawn from Google search: Royal Naval Benevolent Trust... The Trust also maintains Pembroke House, its own care home in Gillingham, Kent for former Sailors, Royal Marines, their wives and widows. ... www.guide-information(.)org(.)uk/ guide/search_index_detail.lasso?RecID=G7907 - 39k - Cached - Similar pages Ian

Dawnieher3headaches

Dawnieher3headaches Report 10 Mar 2005 16:55

Ian, Thank you for that will look at it. Sorry taken so long to reply but tiddler came home from nursery a bit ill so have done nothing apart from sitting on sofa with her showing how useless I am at Countdown. THanks again Dawn