Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Farm Servant

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Suzy Camay   ▀

Suzy Camay ▀ Report 10 Mar 2005 11:44

I found my Gt. Grandmother on the scottish 1891 census, and she is listed as being a farm servant, living in a household. What i would like to know is did she work in the house as a servant or on the farm? Also on her marriage cert in 1893 she was noted as a domestic servant. Any ideas would be great Thanks sue x

Peter

Peter Report 10 Mar 2005 11:59

I would say she worked in the house. What you have to remember is that vast estates are still basicly just farms. so I would try and trace were she was working to give you a better idea of what she might of done.

Ian

Ian Report 10 Mar 2005 12:00

Susan, I too have similar on Scottish rellies. I presume it means she worked as a servant (domestic) at a farmhouse, rather than worked on the farm. I think in those days the manual farmwork would have all been done by men? Her later description as a domestic servant tends to lean in that direction? Ian

Suzy Camay   ▀

Suzy Camay ▀ Report 10 Mar 2005 12:16

Thank you Peter and Ian, I thought she would have worked in the house. Thanks once again Sue

MarionfromScotland

MarionfromScotland Report 10 Mar 2005 15:14

Old Scottish ocupations Farm servant ....... Farm worker under contracted period to work for farmer. Maybe she helped at the hay or the 'Tatties' Marion