Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

What do I do next?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Unknown

Unknown Report 10 Mar 2005 10:53

I have been trying for some time to find a marriage, and this morning the info was emailed to me yipee! Anyway it states: Marriage between Peter Campbell - Engineer living at 11 St George's Terrace son of Archibald Campbell - Police Inspector and Georgiana Hall Chantler living at 4 Haverstock Rd. Date of marriage 13th June 1864 - St Pancras/Marylebone, London. What do I do next to get further back. Lin

Sam

Sam Report 10 Mar 2005 10:55

I would post a thread requesting a lookup for these people on the 1861 census. Hoefully they will be living with their parents and should take you back another generation. Sam

Guinevere

Guinevere Report 10 Mar 2005 10:56

Hi, Another step is to look for the parents' marriage. The cert will give you their fathers' names Gwynne

Maud

Maud Report 10 Mar 2005 11:01

Hi Depends on what information you now want to find, you could either 1. Check out the census for 1861, this would give you their respective families, 2. look for their father, his name will be on the cert and also perhaps mother (English certs give less info then Scottish ones, depends on what you have) if the parents marriage was before 1837, then you could check to see if they are on the IGI (International Geneological Index) www.familysearch.org, if they are, then you can check to see how many children they had, simply enter the parents names only and click on for births/christenings, then search, if you have the area, country etc include these, then all their children should be listed. Next look at the 1871 census, this will give you information on the married couple and if they now have any children. Depends on what information you are now seeking?

Unknown

Unknown Report 10 Mar 2005 11:10

Peter Campbell died before 1871 as his wife Georgiana remarried in 1869 - could not found death cert. On marriage cert it does not give any area where the Campbell's came from or any ages, so would Peter's parents marriage be almost an impossibility. I will ask a favour for the 1861, a Campbell in the police force should stick out so to speak. Lin

Christine in Herts

Christine in Herts Report 10 Mar 2005 21:23

If you want to find out more about Archibald Cambell... Was he City Police? http://www.cityoflondon.police.uk/history/history1.htm Juliet Bankes City Archives Manager Corporation of London Records Office PO Box 270 Guildhall London EC2P 2EJ tel: 020 7332 1251 fax: 020 7710 8682 email: CLRO£corpoflondon.gov.uk (replace £ with email-symbol) I know about this because I had a gg-uncle who was in the City Police and the CLRO was very helpful. Otherwise, these links might be useful: http://www.gendocs.demon.*co.uk/police.html#HOW (remove *) http://www.externalserver.me.uk:8085/ Christine

Kate

Kate Report 10 Mar 2005 21:53

Lin - you may be able to find them yourself on the 1861 census on 1837 online if you're lucky! Kate.