Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

UPLOAD FROM FTM05 to here?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Annie

Annie Report 9 Mar 2005 23:43

Can you upload from FTM05 to Genes? And can you download from Genes to FTM05?

Ron

Ron Report 10 Mar 2005 09:36

Yes you can. You first need to create a gedcom file from FTM 2005. Here's how to do it. 1. Launch FTM and open your family file. 2. In the top left hand corner of the screen click the File Menu. 3. Click Export File, then Entire File. 4. In the window that opens there will be some options that will want altering and there is a drop down menu for doing this. In the “Save in” window select a suitable location to save the file to, Desktop, “My Documents” or “Floppy Disk” 5. In the “Save as File Type” window select GEDCOM at the bottom of the list. 6. In the “File name” window you will need to enter a name, which you want to call the file, you can call it whatever you like but give it a different name to your main file. 7. Click Save. 8. A box will appear giving you some more options, do not alter anything here just click okay. 9. Your gedcom file will now save in the location you selected to save it to and you can now upload that gedcom to GR The same can be done in reverse and you can download the gedcom from GR site and import it into FTM, we do it all the time when people want their trees printing on one sheet of paper. Good luck, if you need any further help you can contact us directly, e mail, info at genealogyprinters(.)com or telephone us 01902 836284 and we'll talk you through it while your sitting at your computer. Ron www(.)genealogyprinters(.)com

Annie

Annie Report 10 Mar 2005 11:10

Thank you so much Ron, Another question was I tried to upload my tree to my homepage and it didn't like it?

Heather

Heather Report 10 Mar 2005 11:11

Annie, if you upload your tree from FT2005 to a homepage it sometimes rejects it because of your firewall. If you temporarily disable your firewall and then try to export to your home page it should work.

Annie

Annie Report 10 Mar 2005 11:14

Thanks Heather, I have enabled the Firewall for work, so I'll disable it and try again. Anniex

Annie

Annie Report 10 Mar 2005 11:16

Ron, When you say I can upload it to Genes, where should I be when I do this and how do I do it? Another quickie... when you say people want their tree printed on one page, what do you mean by this.. I printed mine off last night in about 8? then selotaped them together is that right? Annie

Heather

Heather Report 10 Mar 2005 11:28

If you look on the green margin on the left below the annoying advert, you will see a link Import/Export Tree - click on that and it will tell you how to put your gedcom on GR. By the way annie, you may want to click privatise before you put your details on here as living people may not want all their info on public show.

Annie

Annie Report 10 Mar 2005 11:30

Thanks Heather, I've just uploaded it to the homepage, where was I meant to put Privatise? and should I do it for Genes too? Anniex

Annie

Annie Report 10 Mar 2005 11:31

Also, trying to do a book, and I'm really lost... I click preview and it goes and does something then comes back to all the details - but no book. Any Ideas - Ron or Heather

Annie

Annie Report 10 Mar 2005 11:44

Hello Ron and Heather, I just tried uploading it and it said I can only upload if I am the only member. I have got a tree already in Genes, but the FTM one is more uptodate? Do I have to delete everything? And how does it stay updated to Genes and the Web, so I have to upload all the time or does it recognise changes and do automatic updates? Thankyou Annie

Unknown

Unknown Report 10 Mar 2005 12:09

Hi - theres a good help section linked to the import/export page on here. The bottom line is:- 'Please note that you tree must be empty apart from the owner in order to load the file and the owner details must match a forename, surname and year of birth in the file. Delete your tree to allow an import. ' Its really key that the detail for you left on the GR site is EXACTLY the same as the YOU in the file being imported. Thats all names, dates etc.. You will have to drive the updating of both thsi site and the FTM2005 homepage you built. Theres a menu option in FTM2005 under 'INTERNET' to allow this ... Good luck

Heather

Heather Report 11 Mar 2005 11:31

Hi Anne, sorry been out. Yes, I would definitely click the privatise information on living persons as you upload to the home page. Also do a temporary privatisation when you form a ged com to export to GR. The book I havent tackled yet - the trouble is I can never see me getting to a definitive end to all this - its always ongoing. Yes, to update the homepage and GR you will have to do the same again. Updating the home page is very easy, you just to to internet and then click update my homepage and off it goes again.