Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

1881 versus Ancestry gives funny result?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

An Olde Crone

An Olde Crone Report 9 Mar 2005 18:16

See below in a minute

An Olde Crone

An Olde Crone Report 9 Mar 2005 18:19

There are 37 men on the 1881 census called Joseph Holden - soundex on, born between 1853-1857, anywhere in the world. One of them is 'my' Joseph Holden. In an effort to find his birth registration I did a search on Ancestry, using exactly the same parameters - but I only get 21 results and some of the spelling is so tortured that even I dont think they could be the right man. Does this mean then that 18 Joseph Holdens never got registered, or does it mean that Ancestry isnt complete? I would appreciate your opinions. Marjorie

Phoenix

Phoenix Report 9 Mar 2005 18:22

Free BMD has very poor coverage for that period, and I think Ancestry is based on Freebmd.

Unknown

Unknown Report 9 Mar 2005 18:32

LOL - I only got 8 in FreeBMD - shows you what soundex achieves .. The Ancestry BMD index is a copy of FreeBMD's - lagging by one release I think. Births Mar 1853 -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Holden Joseph Horncastle 7a 488 Holden Joseph Poplar 1c 600 Holden Joseph Henry Barnsley 9c 106 -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Births Jun 1853 -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Holden Joseph Leek 6b 204 Holden Joseph Bradford Y 9b 22 -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Births Sep 1853 -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- HOLDEN Joseph Spalding 7a 295 -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Births Jun 1856 -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Holden Joseph William Sunderland 10a 393 -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Births Jun 1857 -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Holden Joseph Liverpool 8b 134

An Olde Crone

An Olde Crone Report 9 Mar 2005 19:19

Thanks for your input - Laird, I got the same 8 as you when searching Lancsbmd. You notice none of them are born c 1855 and I have come to the conclusion that his registration was one of the 'missing millions' from the Manchester Records of 1850-1860! Every member of this family is missing from the GRO etc records but I find them, one by excruciating one, sleeping away at the Local Records Office. I think that all I can do now is pay Man RO to do a search for me, I cant think how else to whittle this down. I need his mother's name so I can get his parents marriage cert!!!! Marjorie