Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

What details does a scottish marriage record give?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Mad Alice

Mad Alice Report 8 Mar 2005 20:39

just about to order one Parish record for 1849 - will it show occupation of husbend? Parents names? thanks, Alice

Mad Alice

Mad Alice Report 8 Mar 2005 20:44

Great - a bit more expensive £10 but it sounds worth it. thank you jane Alice

Unknown

Unknown Report 8 Mar 2005 21:34

its a parish record image you are ordering - Civil registration began in 1855 in Scotland - and certs cost £13

PennyDainty

PennyDainty Report 8 Mar 2005 21:44

Hi Alice, as Lyla says, more often than not it's the proclamation of banns, and the info you get for 10 pounds pre 1855 isn't much more than you get on SP site. This is copied from the site, on what details to expect. Marriages: date of marriage, or date it was contracted; names of parties; place or parishes of residence. Christine

Jean

Jean Report 8 Mar 2005 21:48

Hi As Shelia says registration didnt start in Scotland till 1855 so unless your really lucky you wo'nt get much. I've got a entry from the parish record for 1847 & Im afraid all it gives is both parties names, where they were residing(name of the village) and the banns had been proclaimed three times. Jean

Mad Alice

Mad Alice Report 8 Mar 2005 22:24

I have not yet paid for the certificate and it does not sound worth it after all. After the banns were read did't they have another entry into the parish register more like the English system? alice

Julia

Julia Report 8 Mar 2005 23:37

hi alice i thought the same as jane has described.i ordered a cert for 1848 got it yesterday and what a letdown all it tells you is as follows place date year-this day after proclomation of banns and no objections having been offered his name her name both of this parish were lawfully married after 1854 you get all the details.i already knew these details so iv'e wasted a tenner.