Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Can't believe another brick wall has fallen! - or

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Mad Alice

Mad Alice Report 8 Mar 2005 18:52

I am absolutely delighted! My gGrandma and g Grandfather have remained brick walls since I started about 5 years ago. With the help of people on Gr I found Mary-Ann Cox last week, Now with more help from Gr members I think I have found her first husband James Allison, but I would value any opinions because I can hardly believe it !

Mad Alice

Mad Alice Report 8 Mar 2005 18:53

I have these details from his marriage cert. in July 1881: age 26, seaman father James fathers occupation brass finisher. I have found a James Allison on the 1891 at sea he is nearly (1-2 yrs too old)the right age and gives his birthplace as Scotland. Last night someone was kind enough to send me the image of his birth details - his father is James a boilermaker - he also told me this was 'a crafts man who worked with metal in an industrial setting.' James died at sea probably 5 or 6 years before 1901. his wife remarried and raised another family. My father and his brothers and sisters had no idea where James came from - but they thought perhaps Scotland. There is so much information on the certificate I would just love it to be true - I would value any opinions please. Alice

Heather

Heather Report 8 Mar 2005 20:00

I have one who is shown as a brass finisher on his sons birth cert and as an engineer/fitter on his sons marriage cert, so it does sound possible.

Mad Alice

Mad Alice Report 8 Mar 2005 20:12

Thank you. I am going to try to find Mum and dad on 1881 census, this might give correct occupation for dad. I guess boilers were often made of Brass. Alice