Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

GRO Has this happened to anyone else? Update

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Linen

Linen Report 8 Mar 2005 17:48

I am so disappointed! I have 4 certificates on order at the GRO, dispatch date Mar 9th. Today I get home from work to find two envelopes on the mat. Wow they've got them out early. I don't even take off my coat before opening them, only to find they have put the wrong certs in the envelopes. I think this is worse than finding I've ordered the wrong ones. Now I have to wait until they get the wrong ones back before they send the correct ones & I'm really nervous about the other two. Vivienne Hi All, Just to say the other two certs have arrived, all correct. Birth certs of my Grandfather's brothers. Does anyone else have such peripatetic ancestors? Each of them was born at a different address & those addresses are different from the census addresses. Lets hope it doesn't take them too long to sort out my gr,gr, uncle's birth & marriage certs so I can get back a little further. Sorry about this mess I don't know how to get it paragraphed. It is on my screen!

Debby

Debby Report 8 Mar 2005 17:52

Hi Vivienne One isn't mine is it?! I'm still waiting for my great grandfather - ordered 20th Feb but can't remember the date they gave me for despatch. What a disappointment that they're the wrong ones - you must be gutted - hope you get it sorted. Debby

SilverLady

SilverLady Report 8 Mar 2005 17:54

Hi Vivienne, never had this happen to me but I can just imagine your frustration and disappointment on opening the envelopes. Its half the fun of FH waiting for those brown envelopes to arrive and opening them. Hope you receive the certificates soon and that they are `yours`. Best wishes Marianne.

Linen

Linen Report 8 Mar 2005 18:29

Hi All I called them right away & after waiting nearly 1/2 an hour I finally got someone who didn't sound at all concerned. As they are so busy mistakes are bound to happen! I have to return them to the Public Relations Unit & they will sort it, so she told me. Just to be on the safe side I have photocopied them in case they try to deny that I have had them. One is a Marriage cert, names William Underwood to Ellen Henning, June 1867 Westminster. The other a Birth cert for William Barker,mother Ellen Barker. No father, informant Ann[surname unreadable] Aunt. Sept 1837 Cheadle, Stafford. There is no address.

Ken

Ken Report 9 Mar 2005 03:43

can you scan them before sending them back someone out there might be able to download them and claim their money back from GRO for non-arrival

Patricia

Patricia Report 9 Mar 2005 14:51

I ordered one marriage certificate and quoted St.Georges Hanover Square, and they sent me St. Germans in Cornwall. The funny thing was the name of the bridegroom was right, even to his second Christian name. Pat.

Phoenix

Phoenix Report 10 Mar 2005 18:49

Many years ago, when the waiting time was 13 weeks, I received my own certificates at long last, with the bonus of two unsolicited certificates: the deaths of Mr and Mrs Cockup....