Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Funerals in 1800s?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

MrsBucketBouquet

MrsBucketBouquet Report 8 Mar 2005 15:00

How did they afford to bury a relative back in those days? I wonder how much a funeral cost. I dont suppose they had insurances? Gerri x

Mary

Mary Report 8 Mar 2005 15:50

Yes, they did have some sort of insurance in those days. I have an ancestor who was an insurance agent for burials on the 1851 census. A lot of children died before their fifth birthday so they would immediatly start paying a halfpenny or a penny a week to the agent, just in case their child died. Funerals in those days were nothing like those of to-day. The biggest expense was the plot, the grave digger and then the Minister. If you didn't have any money, then they would put you in a paupers grave but your name was always recorded in the cemetery records as well as the grave number. Mary

MrsBucketBouquet

MrsBucketBouquet Report 8 Mar 2005 15:53

Thats amazing! thanks for that info. I have just found the church in Dudley where my favorite rellie maybe burried. He died in 1876 aged 45. Heres hoping that B&Q isnt sitting on top of him lol Gerri x

Mary

Mary Report 8 Mar 2005 16:04

If you do find a B&Q on top of him, then the burial records would have been deposited somewhere. Try the main cemetery for Dudley who my have them, failing that, try the main Record Office. Hope you find him where he was originally put. Mary