Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

HOW DO I FIND OUT SOMEONE'S PARENTS?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Katrina

Katrina Report 8 Mar 2005 12:11

Hi there everyone! First can I say what a great helpful site this is! My query is how do I found somebody's parents? I've hit the end of a line... I have a James Murdock in my tree born 1821 in Inverness, Scotland who subsequently migrated to Australia and married there. He died in 1897 in South Australia. No-one else on this site has this same James Murdock - I checked! I've tried searching on www.familysearch.org but there are no records as to his parents were. Does anyone have tips for other websites I can visit or other suggestions? Thankyou in advance for your help! Regards Katrina Freeman

tinkers

tinkers Report 8 Mar 2005 12:15

hello the only thing i can suggest is order the birth certificate anne

Anne from Scotland

Anne from Scotland Report 8 Mar 2005 12:17

Katrina have you tried Scotlandspeople? Anne

Anne from Scotland

Anne from Scotland Report 8 Mar 2005 12:22

Katrina Could this be him? Anne Birth Results (OPR Index Births & Christenings (1553-1854)) Criteria : Surname: 'MURDOCK'; Use Soundex; Forename: 'JAMES'; Parent Surname: 'MURDOCK'; Sex: Male; Date From: 1 January 1820; Date To: 31 December 1825 No. Year Surname Forename Parent Names/Frame No Sex Parish GROS Data 1 26 Feb 1820 MURDOCK JAMES GEORGE MURDOCK/GRACE MONTEATH FR1280 M NEWTON 696/00 0005

MarionfromScotland

MarionfromScotland Report 8 Mar 2005 12:23

Hi are you sure it is Murdock and not Murdoch? Marion

Katrina

Katrina Report 9 Mar 2005 02:39

Hi Marion No I can't say for sure that it is not Murdoch.... Does anyone have any James Murdoch born in Inverness between 1821 and 1826? I had a look at Anne's suggestion but I think that Newton, Midlothian is too far away from Inverness - it's several counties away to the South East so not sure. Regards Katrina

MarionfromScotland

MarionfromScotland Report 9 Mar 2005 08:17

Hi did you see this on LDS? -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- James Murdock Male Family -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Event(s): Birth: 1821 , Inverness, Scotland Christening: Death: 1897 Burial: -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Marriages: Spouse: Hannah Tonkin Family Marriage: 13 OCT 1849 Adelaide, South Australia, Australia -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Messages:

Katrina

Katrina Report 9 Mar 2005 23:45

Hi Marion Yes that's definitely him, he married Hannah Tonkin. But the site didn't go any further to say who his parents were. What was that site again? LDS? is that the same as www.familysearch.org?

Anne

Anne Report 9 Mar 2005 23:54

Yes LDS is the same as familysearch.org. The way the extract was worded makes me think it is a 'submitted' record. That is, one not copied from actual records. Do you have any other reason to believe he was born in Inverness? Not doubting you yourself, but if the reason you have his birth here is the LDS site I would check it carefully! I believe Scotlandspeople have a good site but I don't have any Scottish rellies myself so not really in a position to say. Anne