Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

how do I import a gedcom from FTM2005, but delete

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

♥♪ˇ Karen

♥♪ˇ Karen Report 8 Mar 2005 11:18

HI I would like to add my updated tree to this site, but there is a problem in that I have lots of living people's details on it. Do I have to manually delete them all, or is there an easy way?? thanks

Heather

Heather Report 8 Mar 2005 12:32

Hi, yes, you can go to file and it says something like temporarily privatise. But I think it still leaves their names on just no dates. I did this with mine, but I have to say I was a bit peeved that when I looked on the GR site it had my notes for all other (dead) names still on. I went through deleting the notes! You can always click on the help tab for info, I use that a lot and it is quite clear which makes a change.

Rosalind in Madeira

Rosalind in Madeira Report 8 Mar 2005 13:08

Not got 2005, but on V10 you can export your tree and call it by another name, still on FTM, then delete or change to living the names you don't want to show and then export the GEDCOM of that tree onto GR or where ever. Looking at that it doesn't make much sense, look at the help files on import/export and you should find it there. Ros. Karen, just had a look at mine. Look on help for copying/exporting groups of individuals. I find this is also useful if you want to email a small part of your tree as PDF and don't want to send it all.