Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

can i pick your brains please??

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

chezzy

chezzy Report 7 Mar 2005 22:37

grrr fustrating my brains gone sleep..trying to find my grtx3 grandparents David Horner and Mary ann Hassal..got their daughters birth cert 21st may 1866 occupation for dad is unreadable at top but underneath it says shoemaker,they lived at pollard st,Leeds at time of birth. I cannot find their own marriage or births??not 100% but may have found a death for david but its not certain at all...sept 1867 in bradford. checked free bmd but no trace of them ANY IDEAS?? all input gladly appreciated thanx.xx

Kate

Kate Report 7 Mar 2005 23:19

Have you found any of them on the 1871 census yet? What was the daughter's name? Kate.

Christine in Herts

Christine in Herts Report 7 Mar 2005 23:25

I'd try the local site: http://www.yorkshirebmd.org.uk However, they don't seem to have transcribed the marriage yet. But they do update the site pretty regularly. In the births at the right sort of date; Yorkshire Birth indexes for the years: 1840 Surname Forename(s) Sub-District Registers At Reference HORNER (boy) Bingley Bradford BING/3/12 Yorkshire Birth indexes for the years: 1841 Surname Forename(s) Sub-District Registers At Reference HORNER (boy) Leeds North Leeds NORT/10/421 HORNER (boy) Leeds North Leeds NORT/12/106 It might be worth asking if any of them is actually David (name registered after first registration, name in last column). The best they could come up with for Mary Ann: Yorkshire Birth indexes for the years: 1838 Surname Forename(s) Sub-District Registers At Reference ASHWELL Mary Jane Holbeck Leeds HOLB/2B/3 Yorkshire Birth indexes for the years: 1847 Surname Forename(s) Sub-District Registers At Reference HASSELL Mary Jane Leeds West Leeds WEST/23/243 HESSELL Mary Jane Walmgate York WAL/10/39 Yorkshire Birth indexes for the years: 1848 Surname Forename(s) Sub-District Registers At Reference HASWELL Mary Leeds North Leeds NORT/30/25 But, again, trancription is incomplete. Worth keeping an eye on, I'd say. They've only got Leeds deaths on so far. Has anyone got access to the Yorkshire (Leeds/Bradford) 1861 Census? That could give you a probable DoB & Place of Birth for the two of them. Christine

chezzy

chezzy Report 7 Mar 2005 23:44

hi, o thankyou both for your time!! nope havent found them on census's yet im afraid. found daughter annie on 1881 aged 14 as a servant to the gledhills..but no signs of mary ann, could be an easy name to mis-transcribe though??

Unknown

Unknown Report 8 Mar 2005 00:58

David / Mary Ann Births Jun 1841 HORNER Male Leeds 23 108 ?????????? Births Mar 1842 Horner Mary Ann Leeds 23 344 hmmmmmmmmmmmm ! ----------------------------------------- Daughter .... This is the only Ann* I found in Yorkshire 1865-1867 Births Mar 1866 HORNER Ann Pateley Bridge 9a 56 This 1871 census record supports your death date for David ? Sorry - cant find a marriage in any of the 3 possible names - Craven, Horner or Hassal ... 1871 England Census Name Age in 1871 Birthplace Relationship Civil Parish ------------------------------------------------------------------- Benjamin Craven 28 Bradford, Yorkshire, England Head Bradford Yorkshire ->Mary Ann Craven 30 Leeds, Yorkshire, England Wife Bradford Yorkshire -->Annie Horner 4 Leeds, Yorkshire, England Wifes Dau Bradford Yorkshire Did Annie go back to Leeds to marry ? Marriages Dec 1885 Faragher Philip Frederick Leeds 9b 787 Horner Annie Leeds 9b 787 Stephenson Dorothy Ann Leeds 9b 787 2nd male not yet transcribed or stay in Bradford ? Marriages Sep 1886 2nd male not yet transcribed HORNER Annie Bradford Y 9b 31 MITCHELL Fred Bradford, Y. 9b 31 Stones Mary Bradford Y 9b 31 Just two early egs between 1884 and 1894 range ... over to you !