Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

seal sands in scotland???

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Karen

Karen Report 7 Mar 2005 21:10

ive found a rellie from scotland on old census and on one it says he was born 'seal sands' could this be a really really bad mistrancribe or is it a place in scotland?? kaz

Unknown

Unknown Report 7 Mar 2005 21:13

According to www*streetmap*co*uk Seal Sands is between Hartlepool and Middlesbrough. It's up north, but not Scotland! nell

Pumphrey

Pumphrey Report 7 Mar 2005 21:13

Just googled it and i'm afraid it's not in Scotland. It appears to be in Middlesbrough, cleveland. Try it yourself as I did not read up on any of the sites that came up. Good luck Pam

Diane

Diane Report 7 Mar 2005 22:42

Dear Kaz, The Seal Sands as I know it is between Seaton Carew in Hartlepool and Haverton Hill ( Middlesborough ). The area in question is covered with Industrial Steel Works and other such like now. I was born in Hartlepool in 1950, and all I can remember of the Seal Sands was sand dunes surrounded by fields, there was also a couple of air raid shelters too. My father and I used to go mushrooming. Best wishes...........Diane......